War Diaries Talk

Dumped Personnel

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Sorry if this has already been covered, but can anyone please explain this rather 'blunt' terminology

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think it's just a term to describe people who are taken off the unit's ration strength, Jan. Transferred to other units, perhaps, or sent back to hospital.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Jan - when you ask this sort of thing please give us a link to the page where it's mentioned so we can see it in context?

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to HeatherC's comment.

Heather, I'm sorry, I forgot you told me before about quoting pages. This is one of the pages it's mentioned on Image AWD0001jh0 . Regards. Jan

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

May in this instance be those "Left out of Battle" a cadre to help reform if heavy casualties were suffered. They are marching off under their own steam, so I don't think they are sick, and those to hospital etc are referred to separately straight after.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to David_Underdown's comment.

Thank you David that sounds most plausible. Can't say that 'dumped' is the most sensitive way to describe the men, but then I suppose war is not about sensitivity. Regards Jan

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

I think it's in the sense that they form a dump, in the same as a supply dump etc, doesn't necessarily have the overtones of "rubbish" that we might put on it.

Posted