War Diaries Talk

Understanding Messages and Signals pads

• angiehart by angiehart

I'm currently tagging signals pads and there are some very strange abbreviations - does anyone know what they mean? In the To box it says APIP ACROS AIRN. I think I have figured out that in the message body when it says 'aaa' this means end of the sentence - but i could be completely wrong.

And why in the From box does it just say ALAN - I have tagged this as a person but I am beginning to think it is another abbreviation!

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD000243y

Thanks
    Angie

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm really not sure! I'd guess these must be abbreviations for units or commands (as in a position of responsibility, rather than orders).

Hopefully somebody with more expertise than I will know the answer.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

aaa takes the place of a full stop and does mean the end of a sentence. I think the other codes beginning with A are indeed identifiers for Units as Rob says, so that the names are not given in clear in the message - A very simple form of code if you like. Somewhere there is probably an order that says which unit is which codeword. Certainly I have seen examples of this - lists of codewords for units or places - in other diaries before.

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

Thanks - that helps.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

H.R. Diagrams
    Can someone please explain what these are, the only explanation I can find relates to location of stars
    Image AWD0000vzw

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm not sure, but it looks like it might be linked the tactical handling of machine guns note you also commented on. Perhaps they were field of fire diagrams.

Posted