War Diaries Talk

ADMS

• totenkopf by totenkopf

Could this "ADMS " stand for Administration.
    Thanks Frank

Posted

• totenkopf by totenkopf

Keep seeing this in the notes wondered what it was .
    Frank

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator in response to totenkopf's comment.

Hi @totenkopt

Here is a site that has a good list of WW1 abreviations: http://www.1914-1918.net/abbrev.htm
    They list ADMS as Assistant Director of Medical Services. Would that make sense in the context of the diary you are working with?

Posted

• totenkopf by totenkopf

100 % I'm doing a Captains dairy who is a sanation section officer with 2 cal. div. so reporting hygenie issuses like " horse manure piles to close to well and will report this to adms' makes perfect sence .
    This is like fun I feel like a Flat Foot on a case 😃
    Thanks Frank
    P.S. Do you think you would know what " p.b men " ( always written with a period after the p but not the b and followed my the word 'men " p.b men

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Can you give us an example of the context in which you see this term?

Posted

• totenkopf by totenkopf

Thanks again but since you gave me that link it was there , P.b men stands for P. permanent base men meaning they were assinged to the "base " where ever that might be at the moment where they were.

Thanks again and I'm sure I will be picking your brain as I go along you guys are great!
    Frank

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Glad to hear you got that sorted out, Frank. Ask as many questions as you like - we're here to help.

Posted

• totenkopf by totenkopf

Hello ral 104 and thanks for the help.
    Not sure if this is the correct place to talk about this subject but here goes.

In doing my "job" ,I notice that because of the type of diary that I'm working on (2nd Cal Div, 4a sanitation section) its pretty routine stuff that is being reported, BUT every once in a while you will get something of interest such as "bacon sent to us was rancid , ordered it burnt . Also suggested to H. Q. that rice , meat and cheese should not be packed on same lorry."

Little tid bits like this that give you a glimplse into everyday life at the front (or as this is the case rear area) are of intrest but there is really no place or " tag " for that so I might "hashtag' it ,but I know that hashtags in reality should be only kept to single words ,so as to help the researcher that comes behind me to be able to "pick" out the relevent stuff from the "chaff" and speed along the whole project.

So my question is how do I ,or is there a "system" to add anecdotal things such as my examples without "tying" up the hashtags.

In closing I'm sorry to say that the first 50- or 60 pages that I did I didnot place the "Icons ' directly over the itemson the page itself such as names etc. before I was enlightened by one of you Mods.

I wish there was a way to go back because I would have no problem with going back over my first work because I want to do it right ,but being a newbie I jumped right in without really understanding ( and reading) what I should actually be doing .

All the Best , Frank

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Don't worry about the placement of tags in your earlier pages, Frank. We can sort all that out later.

I would definitely use hashtags for the sort of info you mention as the standard tags don't really allow for that level of detail. There's a definitive list of hashtags here: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05

If you think this list doesn't cover something you want to tag, just go ahead and suggest a new tag. For the info you mention, I'm not sure our list would currently cover it, so I'd suggest using something like #supplyproblems and then giving a bit of detail around that. So, for example, #supplyproblems bacon rancid so destroyed.

Hope that helps!

Posted