War Diaries Talk

Third Lieutenant?

• angiehart by angiehart

I've come across reference to a 3rd Lieutenant Hicks in the 24th BM Royal Fusiliers - but the rank doesn't appear in the drop down list, and on googling it, doesn't seem to appear in the list of ranks of the British Army at the time.

Can anyone shed any light on this - is it a typo, or were there 3rd Lieutenants in the Fusiliers?
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD000245d

Thanks
    Angie

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it might be either something similar to an officer cadet, or possibly just a way of referring to the most junior lieutenant in the company.

It doesn't look like a typo, does it?

Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable than I will be able to answer this definitively.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

It certainly wasn't an official rank in the army (in the navy 1st lieutenant, 2nd lieutenant, 3rd lieutenant etc are effectively appointments on an individual ship). I'm having trouble opening the image at the moment, so I can't see the context, but is it simply saying a third lieutenant having already erferred to two others?

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Managed to get in now so scratch that last bit. It's not the clearest image, I wondered if it is actually just an unusually written 2. I can't make out whether it's actaully followed by nd or rd.

Posted

Could be...difficult to say. The 3 definitely looks like a 3, though.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The same man is mentioned on the page twice and the first one is definitely a 3. Not heard of this at all in the Army.

@angiehart can you let us know if he's mentioned again so we can see if this is just an error?

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

He's mentioned twice on this page where he is now 2nd Lieutenant Hicks - so assume the 3rd Lieut title was just a mistake on the other page.

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0002443

Hopefully mystery solved.

Angie

Posted

Sounds like it! Thanks for checking.

Posted