War Diaries Talk

Orderly Room Held

• angiehart by angiehart

I keep coming across this term "Orderly Room held" and I don't know what it means. Does anyone know - is it something I should be tagging?

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi angiehart,
    To me, Orderly Room was to do with the issuing of orders, administration, parades, Military Police, charges, jail, etc. I wonder if you should mark it as Discipline or Other under Army Life? I'm sure someone will be along soon who can tell you better than I have. Best wishes, Maria.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Angie

Can you give us a link to a page that uses the expression so we can see it in context? As Maria says the Orderly Room can be thought of almost as the Unit Office and was responsible for Administration, but in this case it would be helpful to see the context.

Heather

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

I've (hopefully) put the link to the current page I'm on which mentions it several times (14th, 15th and 23rd June)
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00018nn

Thanks,
    Angie

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

It's clearly something they do when they get back into barracks out of the line. I'm thinking now it could have two meanings:

1. The setting up of a small office where the normal admin of the Bn was carried on
    2. The hearing of minor misdemeanours at Unit level in front of the CO - sometimes called "Orders", but I have seen it referred to as "Orderly Room Procedures". It's the word "Held" that makes me wonder if this might be what it is.

It could be both of course!

Heather

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

Yes, it was the word 'held' that made me think it was something more than just doing the admin. I will tag it as Army Life - Other. It does seem to happen a lot.

Posted