War Diaries Talk

Some that I've seen, will edit as I see more

• charcinders by charcinders

Battle bowlers - steel helmets

Bangalore torpedo - tubular explosive device used to blast a path through wire

Foden disinfector - a machine for delousing clothing

SBR - small box respirator (gas mask)

Jack Johnson - slang for a German shell that burst in black smoke, after the black American boxer of the same name. Also known as a "coal box" or "black Maria".

Accessory - code name for poison gas

Jackets - code name for gas cylinders

"Taken on [the] strength" or TOS - to join the unit

"Struck off [the] strength" or SOS - to leave the unit, transferred, as a casualty, etc.

Popham Panel - a method of signalling to aircraft using cloth panels laid on the ground
    http://m.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205308122

Parapet - the front wall of a trench. Usually higher than the...

Paradox - the rear wall of a trench

PB men - permanent base men. Soldiers considered unfit for front line duty due to ill health, mental stste, age, etc., given miscellaneous support jobs in rear positions.

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

This cavalry unit often has horses selected for "casting" -- castrating?

Posted

• olems by olems moderator

Horses that were found unfit for use by cavalry and rejected.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The British Army still uses the term "cast" to refer to vehicles it disposes of as no longer fit for use or no longer required.

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

Oh, interesting, thanks! So are these horses that had to be put down, or are they just sending them back home for civilian use?

Posted

There was a shortage of horses throughout the war so they probably would have tried to use them elsewhere first if suitable. However I'm afraid even at the end of the war horses were mainly either destroyed or sold locally rather than incurring the expense of shipping them home

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

Some were also shipped to india and egypt but a lot became food or were sold to the french.. remainder were shot unfortunately..

Posted

• pmj by pmj

Coal Box - (Usually) 5.9 in German shell which produced a lot of black smoke.
    Chat - Louse. The process of de-lousing was often a collective activity and occasioned a lot of talking, hence chatting.
    Archie- Anti-aircraft fire.
    Jumping off point- The starting point for an attack. Modern army called Start Line or Line of Departure.

Posted

• Wzl.jupp by Wzl.jupp

Can anyone advise on a 'Regimental Scheme'? I am following cavalry regiments and this term pops up regularly. I assume it is training but would appreciate any guidance.

Posted

It does slightly depend on the context. A scheme (often with the words "of manoeuvre" added in modern useage) is basically the plan that describes how troops will organise to achieve a certain task or aim. Thus for a Cavalry Unit they might have a defensive scheme or an attacking scheme that would be pre-set and they would use it in an actual operation. If they are not in the line when you see this term it's likely to be training in how to do this scheme. If they are in the line they may be using the actual scheme itself.

I'm tagging an Engineer Field Sqn and there is much talk of the "Divisional Scheme" which is the outline of how the Division is organising its trenches and other defences. I have had both training examples - e.g. "The Sqn officers to Div HQ to be informed of Div Scheme" and doing examples e.g. "Construction continued according to Div scheme".

Hope that helps in the context you have?

Posted

• SarahPowell by SarahPowell

Just found 'Minnie' used for 'minenwerfer'.

Posted

• edinflo by edinflo

I've come across "cogs" a few times in relation to the Seaforth Highlanders: eg. references to "A" cog, "B" cog and so on changing position or coming back from the line. Could be parts of a unit or maybe types of guns?

Posted

Are you sure it isn't "coy" which is short for Company? Can you link a page for us so we can see it?

Posted

• edinflo by edinflo

Here's an example - http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0002ezn

I think you are probably right about "coy" for "Company" - that makes much more sense!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Oh, yes, definitely 'Coy'.

Thanks for raising it - some of the abbreviations can be quite confusing!

Posted

• edinflo by edinflo in response to ral104's comment.

Yes and the handwriting can be difficult at times. Sometimes I get into a zone and think I've cracked it but then something else throws me!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

😄 I'm about to start reorganising the boards shortly. I'll make a new one for handwriting queries!

Posted