War Diaries Talk

How do you complete a page and get a new one

• Coopwardog by Coopwardog

I just joined today and have completed a page . I have pressed the finish button and nothing has happened. When I go to the pick a diary it just takes me back to the page I have just done.

I am finding it difficult to find answers and helpful guidance as a newbie

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Hello, just noticed your message and that you have joined Operation War Diary. Unfortunately you will not be able to access any diaries as the project is closed down at the moment. The moderator Ral has posted the following message on the Talk Page. (Other messages are also posted there about this project).

One of Ral's message - "Not gone, just on hiatus! We might be back up and running in time for your students. Keep an eye out for Zooniverse emails...".

We are all hope it will return soon! 😃

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Hi Marie, also checking OWD now and again?

Posted

Hi Erik, nice to know we are both checking to see if there is any more news about the project now and again.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm making good progress with the new interface. The only bad thing is that there seems to be no way for us to present pages in order and still collect the sort of data we need.

I have a few things I need to finish off - a tutorial and finalising some of the workflows. Then the project has to go through the Zooniverse peer review process before it is released. Unfortunately, I have no idea how long that will take.

Rob

Posted

Thank-you for the update Rob on the work you are doing. We can only wait and see what happens.

If pages are not presented in order I hope that it will still mean when you choose a diary to tag, it will be random pages for that diary alone. I always tried to tag a diary from beginning to end to keep up the continuity of the diary, i.e. places they were going to etc, and most of all the people named in the diary. The ones that joined first etc, you could always keep a track of their names throughout mainly.

One point which will apply to us tagging diaries - Don't think random pages will keep up the continuity and the story of the men who appear in these diaries.

Just thought of another point if pages don't go through in order - If the author of the diary mentions that the following men are casualties i.e. killed - and the next page just names the men, the person who gets the next page if not going through in order - how will the person tagging that next page know what the names refer to, could even be awards of medals. Hope you can understand what I am implying with pages not going through in order.

I hope the new format will not change too much. I always thought it was a well presented project to work on.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Not all pages include the full date so random pages could mean a lot of dating errors unless we can make a link with the diary description and page numbers.
    Nice to see you all again. 😃

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, there are significant issues around random presentation - believe me, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it! However, due to the way the new software works, if we still want to collect different information depending on page type, that's the only way to do it.

An alternative is to do away with page types and concentrate on a smaller subset of information, predominantly names. In that case, we could continue to present the diaries in page order, I think. I'm not entirely decided. Neither option is perfect.

Posted

Thanks for your reply Ral, I wonder if and when the new format comes up whether there will be a lot of things missing that we used to tag. I suppose it will mean a lot of sorting out. Good luck with your ongoing work:)

Posted