War Diaries Talk

MIstitled diary

• Stork by Stork

I'm on page 4 of this diary- Divisional Troops Headquarters Divisional Army Service Corps (426 Company A.S.C.) (1917-01-01) (31 Dec 1916 - 30 Jan 1918) The month given on the page is Jan 1916, contrary to the previous sentence. At the top of the page it says '89 Coy HSO' while the previous sentence has '426 Coy A.S.C.'

I won't do any more of the diary until one of you says to go ahead with it.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Could you post a link to the page? You can do it before the page is done by putting something in a comment, even just abc, which will post the page at the top of the Talk page. Then you can add the link for it to this thread and delete your "comment."

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Sorry for the slow reply- I forgot that I posted this. Here's the link: AWD00048bi

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Okay, I think I have figured this out. I had a look at it in the data digger.

First, the date on the page is for 1917. If you look closely at the first date, there's a mark in blue pencil that appears to be an attempt at a 7. I think the author just forgot the year had changed. The following cover pages say 1917.

Second, this diary is for the headquarters company for the 4th Cavalry Division, which was likely the 426th Coy. Looking ahead I saw comments on the ammunition park moving and officers being interviewed, so it looks like the company was concerned with more than distributing supplies.

The 89th Coy. seems to be one of the sub-units of the Army Service Corps for the 4th Cavalry Division. There is also a diary up for tagging that covers the 89th Coy. I also looked at it, and it is not just a duplicate of this one. Different handwriting, obviously different author. So I think that the reference on this page to the 89th Coy. probably was an error.

Rob has stated before that our tags as they stand now are not really suitable for headquarters units, and he has always had Zooniverse take them down when they have been posted. I alerted him to the fact that there are two headquarters diaries in the latest batch, but I haven't heard back from him. I expect that has to do with the holidays. So perhaps you might not want to continue with this diary right now on that basis.

Hope this helps.

Posted