War Diaries Talk

Keeping a recently used place name list in the Diary \ Place popup

• ianfinlay_aus by ianfinlay_aus

HI

I am struggling with the diary\place popup a bit

Q1. Can it be modified to show "recently entered place names"
    when doing a series of consecutive pages from a diary, it would make data entry faster
    In the same way an MRU (most recently used) list is implemented in most software applications.

Q2. My map always centres on antarctic water south of Capetown, South Africa. It takes much effort to even get into the correct theatre. Could the default be put on the Somme river.
    and maybe made a bit larger in size as the map window is tiny.

Kind Regards
    Ian Finlay

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Hi, Ian, I apologize for having kept you waiting.

The Place tag will only hold the last place name entered. However, if you need to repeat a name on the same page, you can just click on the first tag for that name and it will pick up the information again. Then just put your new tag in the correct spot. I do know what you mean about having to type in the same names on every page. It can get tedious.

As for your second question, yes, the map will center on the ocean off Africa. I think you just need to refine your techniques for using the Place tag though.

You don't need to set the map for the Western Front area before entering a place name. Just type in the place name, such as Ypres, Albert, or whatever the place name is. If the geolocator service we use recognizes the place, which it will for most cities and larger towns in France, Belgium, Germany, and the UK, you'll see a map pop up in the window. If it doesn't recognize the name, which happens for smaller villages and places such as farms and trench names, you will get the response "None of these/not sure". Just select that response. You can also use that response if your place name is fairly common but none of the alternatives in the dropdown menu seem to be the right place. The geolocator will not recognize anyplace that is outside of the four countries I mentioned above.

You can also move the map in the little window around a bit just by holding down the cursor. There are also enlarge and decrease functions, as well as a full screen option. If you're not seeing these, it may be your browser. I've used both Firefox and Chrome and both display these functions, although they look slightly different in each of them.

Finally, you can click on the word Google in the little window and it will open a new tab that shows Google Maps.

If I haven't answered your questions, or I've raised new questions, or you're still having trouble, do let us know. We don't want you having to fight with the maps!

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Ian, further to your message above. Here is a link for installing the Chrome Browser. It is really useful when trying to read faint pages in the diary by contrast etc. That is if you do not have it already installed.

If you use this Chrome tool, it will appear in the top right hand corner of your screen. When you put the mouse pointer over this red coloured circle, it will show the message - "Apply Visual Filter"

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/unsupported/mopkplcglehjfbedbngcglkmajhflnjk

Posted