War Diaries Talk

System Hang Up

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

System seems to have hung up. I posted a hashtag comment to http://www.operationwardiary.org/subjects/standard/52d056ae3ae74026a30a6b6a.jpg, but then couldn't move to the next page. On looking around, the hashtag had vanished. Went to profile, copied hashtag and reinserted. It now features in profile, but the page doesn't come up alongside it.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I see it - it looks like a problem with that particular image, so hopefully it will just be an isolated incident. Let us know if it happens again, though.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

I'm currently locked out - when entering 'Classify' the page outline appears with the right title, 23 Field Ambulance of 7th Infantry Division, but the active part of the page is just a blank blue screen - refreshing the page, or closing it and restarting, don't give me anything else. I've opened a fresh diary (Divisional Supply Column, 2nd Cavalry Division) and that's opened with the proper scheme - a visible diary page. I'll continue working that until/if I can get back into 23 FA.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to f0rbe5's comment.

When the page is blue after you restarted OWD, did you push the finish button? I think I had the same issue with the diary of the 4th brigade RHA and when I clicked the finish button (having the blue page) I did get another page, not the next one, but the page after the next one. You'll miss a page but you can continue tagging your diary.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Erik, thank you. At the time I tried Finish but got nothing. I also hit the reload current page button and then tried Finish. Still got nothing. However, since reading your post open I've revisited 23 FA diary from the link on the profile page. It gave me the blue screen again, but hitting Finish has worked - and as you noted, I've lost a page. Don't know how/why, but at least I'm back in!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

There seem to be some technical glitches with some of this latest batch of diaries. I know of at least three that have some kind of problem.

If it's too frustrating, try another diary. I know that others are operating smoothly.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

The 23 FA, 7th Inf Div diary has hung up again (https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003oo2 - the Talk comment 'a' has been added just so I can get the page link). Moved on to another diary (hopefully just temporarily!).

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to f0rbe5's comment.

Just a thought. Have you tried clearing your browser cache? Sometimes a full cache will interfere with the function of OWD.

You might also try tagging the 2nd Royal Kings Rifle Corps diary that starts on 31 Dec. 1916. I've been tagging it without any issues at all, aside from one place where two pages are transposed.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Since the hang-up I've been back at the Divisional Supply Column for 2 Cav Div, which I worked on after yesterday's hiccup. No problems on either occasion.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Glad to hear that the supply column is working for you! Let us know if anything else occurs. I'll be sure that Rob sees your updates.

Posted

Do you have the number of the page which was hanging? I can check to see whether other people have managed to tag it or not. If you're the first one through, it might be a problem with the diary. If not, we'll have to work out why it's happening to you and nobody else.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

I've just had another hang-up after about 20 successful pages of 23 Field Ambulance. The problem page is https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003onx - I'd just finished tagging the page (last item was a 'Person') and as I moved my mouse up to 'Finish' the page flickered slightly - and no response from hitting 'Finish.' I was able to add two (empty) person tags on the far right of the page but was unable to remove either. Moved from the page to 'Diaries' and back and then to 'Home' and back, and cleared my browser cache. All of my tags remain, but none of this gives me back any function in 'Finish'. I note I'm the only user on-line at the moment - and that was the case in at least one of the earlier instances, if not more. It's happened a.m. and p.m. UK time. Back off to the cavalry (Divisional Support Column, 2 Cavalry Brigade), with whom I'm having no problems! The single item added in 'Talk' (an 'a') was just so I could get the page details.

Posted

It's definitely a problem with specific page images - a similar thing has happened with the diary of 4th Bde RHA. I saw your comment on the page in question, so was able to look at it in more detail. I assume it must have something to do with problems during the scanning process - possibly those images were saved in the wrong format.

Anyway, at the moment, it seems like Erik's solution above is the only way to deal with these at the moment. If you exit the diary, then follow the link back to the problem page from your profile, you should be able to finish the page and move on. Inconvenient, I know, but it does seem to work.

Anyway, thanks for keeping us updated with this and apologies for the annoyance of it.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Thanks ral104. I'll keep working on my cavalry unit for the rest of my time today, but will return to 23 FA on my next work period. I'll definitely provide further details of any more hang-ups.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Hit same problem again. Page is: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003onw. I was trying to complete the 'Person' details for Lt Col H S Roche at the bottom of the page. Couldn't get the 'Reason' to change from 'In Command' to 'Other' using keyboard. Had to open the options using drop-down button (which worked). Then the 'Finish' button wouldn't play. The 'a' in 'Talk Comments' was so I could extract page details. I'm just getting to the end of my time for today, so I'll return to this tomorrow.

Posted

Thanks, @f0rbe5. Looking ahead through this diary, I can see the page after the one you've flagged is also corrupted, and there are several more scattered amongst the remaining pages. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to remove them - we're limited to what we get from the National Archives - so frustrating as it is, I think the way to deal with these when they crop up is to exit the diary, then follow the link back to the problem page from your profile and at that point the finish button should work.

So far, it only seems to be two diaries which have these issues, so I'm hoping they're just isolated cases of bad scanning.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Thanks for looking ahead, ral104. I'll just keep going and will hurdle the bumps when I meet them.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003oih latest page to hang up on 23 FA. Have shut down, reopened and successfully reaccessed 23 FA, but jumped from 3 Jul to 5 Jul.

Posted

That's the pattern, I'm afraid. Initially, I thought they were just extra corrupted images which had crept in somehow, but it looks like they are actual diary pages, so when you do encounter one and get past it, you'll effectively skip that page. Hopefully we'll be able to get those pages rescanned later on and plug the gaps.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

The master images should be OK, it's just the access copies, I know we had to regenerate some for Discovery recently - there shouldn't be any need for rescanning.

Posted

Great! That should make it easy to replace and tag them at some point.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003oo4 is the latest page to hang-up. However, that's a diary cover page, so nothing lost.

Posted