War Diaries Talk

Pages jumping randomly

• josiepegg by josiepegg

I am being given pages in random order - pages in the 200s then 400s then back to 200s. From other peoples comments it looks as though this is a problem generally and not just for me.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

If you mean the page numbers in the lower-right corner, I had this experience on Wednesday afternoon US Pacific time. I finished a page and instead of going forward, the page jumped back one.

Then it went ahead 2 pages, at which point I had to stop tagging.

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

yes - it went from June 1917 to Jan 1918 and then back again with some random pages in between. It was also taking a long time to come up with these random pages. I have stopped tagging for now as it was very confusing and I wasn't confident that the tagging would be recorded. From the other comments it would seem that Stork has had the same problem.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There seems to be a glitch on this programme today. Pages are jumping. Started to tag my next page it then disappeared without tagging or pressing finished button and another pager came up much further along. Seems a problem with others, some tagging missing when pages have jumped. (ie comments from Stork 4/5 hours ago). PS also showing I am not on line either!

Have closed the site and came back on but have the same problem. Will have to stop tagging the diary I am working on 8th Btn Royal Munster Fusiliers my next page would have been for 3-5 July 1916 page 64.

Posted

I've changed the title of the thread to more specifically describe the problem. I hate to say it, but I would suggest that everyone stop tagging for now. There is definitely an issue here.

I'm not shown as online here either.

I'm about to leave for two days for the US Thanksgiving holiday, but Rob should be checking in periodically.

Posted

OK Cynthia, hope it is sorted soon. Have a nice Thanksgiving holiday.

Posted

Okay. I have notified Rob, but I don't know when he'll be able to check this out.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi everybody, sorry to hear about this issue. I'm afraid Cynthia's right - it would be best to stop tagging for the time being until we can sort this out. I'm not sure what's going on and I would hate for you to lose tags and so on.

Keep an eye on this thread - I'll post an update as soon as I can get hold of the Zooniverse guys.

Sorry about this!

Posted

• deehar by deehar

The problem I have is that tagged pages no longer appear in the PROFILE screen. Commented pages do appear though.
    Didn't see your warning until too late! I am only experiencing big jumps in page numbers which could be OK but there is no longer any way to check this.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Couldn't login this morning. Now (2pm) I am "not online". Still waiting till problem is solved. Back on line (3 pm).

Posted

I've also only just managed to get logged in. Apparently there's a general issue with all older Zooniverse projects, not just OWD. They're aware of it and are working to fix it, but that's all I know at the moment.

Posted

It seems to be OK now for me, Friday 2.30pm. My diary has come up with the page that was the next one. Thanks all.

Posted

I'd be a bit wary for the time being - there's been no update on the status of the work they're doing to fix the issue. I take it as a good sign that Talk seems to be working okay again, but I'll pass on any confirmation that everything's back to normal once I have it.

Posted

After my earlier message, Friday 2.30m, although I could tag pages, I could not get access to the Talk page, the Profile page or the Diary pages, also problems signing in. Programme very slow. Eventually, was able to commence tagging and I have checked my profile and comments made and the tags on both have been entered. The site seems to be OK now. Will see how it is tomorrow Saturday.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Everything seems normal now - all my finished pages have appeared on the PROFILE screen too.

Posted

Good - it seems like the problem has been fixed and Zooniverse are keeping an eye on things to make sure it doesn't reoccur. Sorry for the inconvenience, everybody!

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Looks like system may be hiccupping again. My pages have just gone 538, 546, 575, 571 and are all pages I had completed some days ago...

Posted

I've had a problem again, too. I tagged several pages last night with no issues, but after p. 193 I jumped back to p. 185, which I had Finished on Wednesday. (It was a cover page, so no actual tags.)

Again, I'd recommend not doing any tagging until we hear further from Zooniverse.

Posted

I second that - I'll keep an eye out and let you know when Zooniverse have it under control.

Posted

I wonder if the problem today is related to previously tagged pages only? Both f0rbe5 and I had our trouble only with those.

I see that some people are tagging, although NOMANSLAND seems to be having trouble with the geolocator, which was working but very slowly last night for me.

Posted

I stop tagging. Got page 94 instead of 100.

Posted

When I signed in earlier after tagging my next page, the pages then jumped. I signed out and signed in again and the correct page to tag appeared. I noticed that I had to re load and Apply my visual filter on Chrome again. The pages so far are appearing in the right order to tag so far. Using Windows 10 and Chrome. At 7.10pm Sunday.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Several people have been having trouble today again, including me.

Rob is aware of this and will be in touch with Zooniverse, probably tomorrow (Monday).

Our immediate advice is just not to do any more tagging until this gets cleared up.

Posted

This isn't just an OWD problem, but one that's affecting all older Zooniverse projects. No update yet, but hopefully this will be fixed tomorrow.

Posted

No problem tagging today Monday.

Posted

So far, so good, but I've worked on only six pages. Seems a bit slow but otherwise okay.

This would be on Monday evening, UK time.

Posted

There are still bugs in the system.

Got through 7 pages and then it jumped back to the page where I began today. I tried signing out and signing in again, but that page still appears under Classify.

I'm done for today.

Posted

Ugh. Okay. I'll push them again. Keep your fingers crossed.

Posted

When page 94 turned up again, I chose page type war diary and than I untagged that page and pushed Finish and I got page 101, being the page I wanted. Don't know if that trick works everytime.

Posted

I really wouldn't recommend trying to do workarounds like that. It will be better to wait until the issue is fixed, otherwise there's the risk we may simply be losing tags.

I'm still trying to get some kind of an OWD-specific response from Zooniverse about this and I apologise for frustration it's causing.

Posted

Okay, it sounds like clearing the browser cache might sort these issues out. Zooniverse have been doing some behind-the-scenes tinkering to deal with the earlier issues, but the data stored on our individual machines might be interfering with that. Clearing the cache should solve the problem.

Links to instructions on how to do this for specific browsers are below:

Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en

IE 8&9: http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/clear-internet-explorer-8-ie8-browsing-history-cache

IE 10+: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

Safari: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=45060

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

This page might be useful too:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/05/how-to-clear-web-storage-in-your-browser-of-choice/
    Operation War Diary stores the details for the queue of pages that you are currently working on in your browser's local storage, so that those same pages are still available even if you leave the site and come back again later, as long as you work on the same computer. From memory, the queue is around 10 pages in length, and new pages are only requested once it has been worked through and emptied.

I think, in this case, the Zooniverse API failure last week has resulted in browsers storing a local cache of 10 random pages that will need to be cleared before new pages can be requested from our servers. If you haven't done any work on those pages, then you should be safe to just delete all local storage for operationwardiary.org and reload the site.

Jim

Posted

Still having issues. Again, it was fine for about 6 or 7 pages, then jumped from 206 to 244 to 261. I don't know if the fact that I tried to change from Firefox to Chrome in order to tag p. 206 has anything to do with it or not.

ETA: I have cleared my browser (Firefox) cache and decided to try a different diary. Just to see what would happen. Started at p. 207 and then jumped back to p. 115.

Once again, I think it is prudent not to do any tagging until further notice.

Posted

After clearing the cache I got page 230 instead of page 109. Cleared "local storage", opened diary and got page 330.

Posted

Monday. No problem yesterday tagging. Problem today Tuesday, Next pages should have been 116 for the diary of 8 Btn Royal Munster Fusiliers. The pages have jumped to page 126. I had cleared my cache. Using Windows 10 and Chrome. Also not showing being logged into the site and no one else showing as being logged in either. Where the names would appear under featured discussions - the popular hashtags page.

Posted

I see myself as Currently Online at 8:20 in the evening UK time.

In general, tagging issues seem to be back to where they were on Thursday.

Posted

I'll let Zooniverse know the fix isn't working - hopefully it'll get fixed tomorrow. I'm more confident now that tags are being saved, but obviously there's no point duplicating effort in tagging things which you've already done.

Posted

Did no tagging today Tuesday because of the problem but when checking my profile it had saved all the work I tagged on Monday. Also when posting this message it is now showing me on line which it did not do earlier but the pages still jumping.

Posted

No update yet, but I'll keep checking during the day and let you know as soon as I know anything.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Still jumping.....

Posted

Okay, zooniverse are looking into this again, but in the meantime would you all mind trying to clear local storage again? Jim's link above (http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/05/how-to-clear-web-storage-in-your-browser-of-choice/) is useful as it contains information on how to do this for the three main browsers (chrome, firefox and IE).

We need to not only clear the cache, but also delete all locally stored data for OWD. Following the instructions in that link should achieve that.

Posted

Followed all the above instructions for clearing. Pages still jumping from 116 to 126. Wednesday 30th Nov. Using Chrome and Windows 10.

Posted

Thanks, Marie. I'm travelling today, but will check in again this evening and see if anything's happened to fix this.

Posted

It is also jumping (back) to pages 82 and 86 which I had already tagged. - Thursday 1st Dec.

Posted

I'm just going to repeat what we have been saying all week:

If you continue tagging right now, while Zooniverse continues to try to fix the issue of pages not moving consecutively, there is a chance that your work will be for nought. We are not sure that any tags you make will be saved.

Best wait until Zooniverse is sure the problem has been fixed.

In the meantime, you could check out other projects at Zooniverse. There is one, Measuring the ANZACs, focusing on soldiers from New Zealand who fought on the Western Front, and an interesting one called Decoding the Civil War that involves transcribing telegrams sent between officers of the Union Army in the American Civil War in the 1860s. No historical knowledge is needed and it has a very short learning curve. I've worked on it now and then and found it quite interesting. Some of the items involve codes.

Posted

There's been no progress from Zooniverse today, I'm afraid, but they are still working on the issue. I'm sorry we haven't got it fixed yet. I'll let you know as soon as we do.

Posted

Still no progress, as far as I know. At this point, I wouldn't expect any until at least Monday. Someone, likely Rob, will post when there is some news.

Posted

Indeed I will (although there isn't any yet, sorry 😦 )

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Clearing locally stored data and using Chrome, IE and Firefox all return the same page so clearly the website is in control. I haven't checked if page advancing is broken with all three browsers though. I don't want to mess up the classification of this diary! If you want feedback on system response please put up a dummy diary we can play with and put the rest on hold.

Posted

Situation still the same pages jumping. Will have to wait until they hopefully can sort the problem out.

Just realized I forgot to sign out earlier today. Have been working on another Zooniverse Project 'Measuring the Anzacs' which I did a long time ago. As Cynthia has said this and the American Civil War projects are interesting.

Hope they can find a solution to the glitch on the War Dairies.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Here's another site you can work on in the meantime. Two in the 'Transcribe Diaries' category are First World War diaries.

http://www.virtualvolunteering.com.au/volunteer/

Posted

Thanks, Stork! I think a lot of us are impatient to get back to our diaries here. It helps to know there are others on the web in the meantime!

Posted

Just to keep you all updated - Zooniverse are starting another line of investigation now, so things are happening behind the scenes. Sorry for the continued disruption, but hopefully we'll get back to normal shortly.

Posted

Thank-you for the update.

Posted

And thank you all for your patience as we try to get this fixed.

Posted

Okay. I think we're back in business. Zooniverse have put through a fix which is definitely working for me. Tags are being saved for certain, so if you want to start up again and let me know how you get on, that would be great.

Apologies again that this has taken so long to sort out.

Posted

(How) can we get the page back were we stopped tagging? Now I am on page 230, but I stopped tagging on page 108.

Posted

Cleared local storage once more, restarted Operation War Dairy and I got teh page I wanted = page 109!

Posted

Seems to be working for me, although I've done only 10 pages.

I also had to clear my local storage again before pages would move in order. If any one is still having trouble, make sure you do this. Instructions for doing this are posted on page 3 or 4 of this thread by @eatyourgreens.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Surprisingly it has gone back to a page close to where I was working before the problems started ! It is ignoring the various pages that I looked at during the jumping period.

Posted

I still have the problem with the diary of the 8 Btn Royal Fusiliers with pages jumping back and forward after clearing my cache again, and singing in and out and signing in again, cache not clearimg problem.

Example have tagged the diary up to page 115. Page 116 out of the 130 pages should have appeared next. Page 67 came up, cleared cache, then page 82 came up, signed out and signed in again and the pages are randomly jumping again, i.e. 82, 64, 129 and 67 again.

Any more suggestions? using Windows 10 and Chrome.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Another way to clear out any pages stored by your browser would be to open another diary for tagging, then go back to the diaries page and choose the diary that you were originally working on. That ought to force the browser to request the diary pages from our servers.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Marie, Are you clearing just your cache? You need to clear your local storage, too. It's annoying in that it clears out your cookies, but it does seem to take you back to where you were when this problem developed. My pages were still jumping around yesterday until I did this.

I would actually try @eatyourgreens suggestion above first, though, as it won't disrupt your cookies for other websites.

Posted

What I found is: "Chrome now provides an option to clear Local Storage of a specific site. For this, enter this in the Omnibox:
    chrome://settings/cookies#cont
    Now, you can type the site name, select Local storage and click on Remove to clear local storage for the site."

Posted

Thanks for sharing that, Erik. That's a good thing to know.

Posted

Thank you for all your suggestions. I had followed all the instructions for clearing my cache and again checked it. Later signed in again to tag the diary I mentioned. It came up with page 115 which I had already tagged so I pressed finished and the next page to appear was the correct one 116.

Seems to be going OK at the moment. Hope it lasts - Nice to be back on the project and thanks to all concerned in attempting to sort the problem with the pages jumping. The google Map box is also working OK.

Posted

Glad to hear things are getting back to normal!

Posted

Thank you, Rob, for staying on top of this problem and seeing it through. It's good to be back.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to ral104's comment.

My thanks too. For the technically minded - does anyone know exactly what went wrong?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to deehar's comment.

I don't know the specifics, but it was something to do with the zooniverse api sending subjects in random order instead of page order for each diary. Cynthia cottoned onto this before me - she noticed the behaviour was similar to the way most Zooniverse projects work, where users are presented with a series of random images. So I think in fixing the earlier issues we were having, the default behaviour somehow got switched on, instead of the OWD-specific behaviour.

Zooniverse rebuilt the selection data, which presumably reestablished the page order links, and that fixed the problem. As to how that was done exactly, you'd need somebody who knows the zooniverse platform much better than I do.

Posted

Earlier today (Friday, 9 Dec.) I was working through the diary I had been working on when the whole "pages jumping" episode began. When it was fixed, I was able to go back to where I had left off and have been working along since then. This morning I came to a page that skipped, which after some investigation using the behind-the-scenes tools I have access to as a moderator, turned out to be a page that I actually tagged when the diary jumped to it last week.

I was able to see that the tags I made were saved, which I guess is why that page was skipped over when I got to it this morning, since it has not been tagged by five people.

I don't know if this means everybody's tags were saved, but it does provide hope for that having happened.

Posted

I'm pretty confident now that all the tags have been saved. The issue doesn't seem to have been with that side of things, just the presentation mechanism.

Posted

I make a note of my Profile figures generally daily when I tag a diary. After the problem was sorted and I continued tagging, the profile figures for my tags ( i.e. Pages/Activities/Dates/Places/People) corresponded with what I had tagged before the problem and afterwards, so it seems they were all being saved.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to ral104's comment.

Thanks for that. So the random jumping was a feature rather than a bug !!!

Posted

Absolutely 😄

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Pages are jumping backwards again to pages I have already tagged! Some tagged pages do not appear in the Profile. This seems familiar....

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to deehar's comment.

Thanks for reporting this.

Anyone else having problems? I'll go do some tagging now myself to see how it goes.

Posted

Quite often the profile pages do not show all the pages tagged. I just come out of the profile page and go back into it. You will notice the slider bar on the right hand side of the profile page sometimes does not go back to top and you have to wait until it reaches the top of the page.

Posted

So far, I've just done a few pages, but no issues with them. UPDATE:About an hour and 12 pages later, still no issues for me.

Marie, yes, the profile page has been loading very slowly the past few weeks at least. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it all to load in order to see the last page I tagged.

Late yesterday (Friday) afternoon my time, so midnight or 1 am Saturday UK time, the OWD site loaded very slowly, if at all. (I gave up waiting on it.) I also had trouble loading a completely different site, but also from outside the US, around the same time, though, so I thought it might not be a problem with OWD itself. OWD loaded as usual this morning, about an hour ago, so 8 am my time, and seems to be working as usual.

@Deehar, did you clear your cache and all that?

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Yes - I cleared my cache but nothing changed. My profile shows pages 202,203,197!!!! ,204,205 and then I was given 202 to tag again. I "finished" that and was offered 206 so it looks as if we are back to normal. Ref no. of p203 is AWD0003zfc if that is useful.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to deehar's comment.

The page(202) jumping was AWD0003zk7

Posted

• Stork by Stork

I had that problem once yesterday and once the day before, but today it's working fine.

Something else that's weird--- each post on this page says that it was posted 2 years ago, but the Questions and Answers Board/Technical Support page says the last post was an hour ago.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to Stork's comment.

That's because we were talking about a similar problem 2 years ago! I couldn't be bothered to start a new thread.

Posted

Have you had any more trouble after this post?

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to cyngast's comment.

Everything going smoothly now!

Posted

Great! Let us know if you have any more trouble.

Posted

Page jumping: Page 99 of the 94th Brigade Machine Gun Company has jumped. It appeared after an order on page 104. This page 99 I had tagged before. The next page to come up is in sequence being page 105 a cover page for April 1917. Just pressed finished and did not tag page 99 again.

Link for page 99. Profile page 335.
    https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00043t3

Posted

I hope this was just a glitch! Keep us posted.

Posted

Since reported, the diary pages have been running in sequence correctly. As you say, maybe a glitch.

Posted

I couldn't load the site at all for a while, and I know Zooniverse were doing some kind of database upgrade last week, so possibly the two things are linked. Let us know if any of these issues continue,

Posted

When I tried to open OWD this morning I got a page that had two big triangular blocks of white and black. When I scrolled down, I found all the copy for the home page without any of the graphics. (I'm sure that there's a name for that format but I don't know what it is.) The copy that describes the goals of the project and lists the advisory board was also there. At the bottom, there was a Default heading and under that there were the most recent Unit Activity, Place, and Other Unit tags I used.

I stared at it all for a few minutes, deciding what to do, then tried refreshing the page. The regular home page came up, I was able to sign in, and here I am.

Posted