War Diaries Talk

Putting page in post

• Stork by Stork

Sometimes in these posts the poster will put the diary page they have a question about at the top left corner of their post. How is that done? I can't figure it out.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

After you have finished a page, it goes to your Profile page. You can open that page by clicking on Profile at the top of the Classify or Home page. (Note: It is not the same profile as the one at the top of the Talk page; that one is a profile of your activity in Talk.) At the bottom of the Profile page, you'll see the last 10 pages you have tagged. If you click on one, it opens a new window that shows the diary page, any comments made on it by you or other taggers, and a list of the three sections of the Talk boards, each of which has a Create a New Post button. Click on that and the diary page is automatically posted with your question or comment.

You can't post a page you are still actively tagging. If you're not sure how to tag something, you can use your best guess or skip it, finish the page, and then use the above procedure to at least find out how to handle it next time.

You can also edit, add, or remove comments from the diary page when it is open in your Profile.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Perfecto! Thanks, I just tried it and it works. But... my post went into The Objects automatically, when I would have preferred it in First World War Jargon. Is there a way to specify which section of The Mess Hall I want it to go into?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Regarding the message referring to - You can also edit, add, or remove comments from the diary page when it is open in your Profile. This may help people. I posted this a year ago in the How to edit/change comments made previously in the The Mess Hall Board / Useful Tips

(1) Go to your Profile page - brings up your recent pages. Should show the last 10 pages normally. Select the page you want . Go to the comment box part- put the cursor to the RIGHT HAND SIDE OF YOUR NAME and it will bring up Edit/Remove. Press Edit - you can then put in what you need to say or change. - (will only allow so many words) - when finished press update.
    Or (2) Go to - Currently On Line page. Go into your name. This will bring up ALL the pages you have commented on. Find the page you want. When the page comes up go to comment box part and use the same procedure as above.

I posted this under Useful Tips after Ral had told me how to edit, add, or remove comments from the diary page

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to Stork's comment.

I think that is part of the Zooniverse platform that pages singled out for discussion go directly to The Objects. Zooniverse originally dealt only with animals and stars, hence the term The Objects, which doesn't always work very well for the projects they've more recently added that are historical in nature.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Thanks for the reminder, Marie. It's always good to have a refresher in how things work around here.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Posts that are made the way you describe above are indeed put into "Objects" by default. However, moderators can move them although I have to say the moderator interface is clunky and non-intuitive! I used to make a point of moving all posts out of the objects area into a more appropriate one but have rather let it lapse. Might be a good idea to start again. I'll have a go with Stork's one.

Have moved a few either into the jargon area or the historian's area. One for we moderators to work on perhaps? You have to use the "edit" button and then select the area of the forums you wish to move the thread to and then press "update"

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Heather. Rob explained all that to me and then I accidentally deleted his instructions! I knew I could move it, but I didn't remember how.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

To be honest, I haven't had a good board tidy up for a while now. It's probably high time I did.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Thanks, Marie, I didn't know that clicking my name in Currently Online brought up my comments. (If anyone else doesn't know, keep clicking 'Load More' on the right to go back in time.)

And I've always wondered what 'The Objects' referred to. I thought it meant things like weapons, uniforms, etc. Looks like it's just a leftover from Zooniverse.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, the board was originally much more geared up towards science projects, but we managed to make a few changes. Zooniverse have since redesigned their Talk software, so if you look at some of the newer projects, you'll find the interface quite changed. I'm hoping we might be upgraded at some point.

Posted