War Diaries Talk

Page number discrepancy

• Stork by Stork

This is something I've noticed in many diaries, and it doesn't cause any problems, but I'm just curious about why it happens.
    I'm tagging 109 Infantry Brigade, 10 Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (30 Sep 1915 - 30 Jan 1918). I just finished page 43, and page 44 has loaded in. I click 'Profile' at the top of the page, and at the bottom of the Profile page which opens I click the icon at the bottom right corner, which is the page I just finished tagging. On the page that opens, at the left it says Page 533, rather than Page 43. Not all diaries have this discrepancy- some show the same page number as on the page that was tagged, which is what you would expect. So why is it saying 533 instead of 43?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I have come across this before but I think it is because we only get sections of the diary say for certain parts of their years, I presumed page 533 for example is a Running Total of pages for their diary. i.e. you may get their diary say for 1914-1915 and then another part of diary is put up separately for say 1918-1919. May not be right about this but could be a possibility.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

That's a great idea, but... this diary started on 30 Sep 1915 when the battalion was leaving England, so the 43rd page I used as an example was written only a few months after the battalion's inception. Your idea would work if that page had been the 43rd page in a volume of the battalion's diary dated, for example, 30 Sep 1917 - 30 Jan 1918, and previous volumes containing the missing 490 pages covered 30 Sep 1915 - 30 Sep 1917.

I had another thought: maybe the 109th Brigade had been created years before First World War, so diaries written before the War started would contain those missing 490 pages. A quick check of Wikipedia told me that the Brigade was formed during WW1, so that obviously isn't the case.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

My first thought was that maybe a diary was kept during the period when the newly formed battalion was training, but 500 pages seems a lot for a year of training! At any rate, the page numbers should be for just the 10th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers rather the the 109th Brigade.

I've come across this situation many times before. It's annoying but otherwise, as you say, it doesn't interfere with tagging.

Rob or Heather may have a better answer for you about how the system works.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Marie's right - the page number you see in the classify window is just for that section of diary, whereas the one in your profile is the National Archives page number, which relates to the diary as a whole (or at least that's my understanding of the discrepancy). Quite why there are so many pages at that point in the diary is a bit of a mystery, but possibly they were very appendix heavy during the earlier sections. We're having some issues with our behind-the-scenes system, so I can't check at the moment.

Posted