War Diaries Talk

Pages getting skipped

• Stork by Stork

Sometimes when I complete a page and click 'Finished,' the next page that comes in is between 1 and 5 pages ahead of the one that should come in. For example, if I finish page 38 which ends on 6 March, the next page that comes in will be page 41 starting on 27 March, rather than page 39 starting 7 March. I just had a 10-page skip- it skipped from February's cover page to 1 April. I'm certain that I'm not double-clicking 'Finished,' and besides, clicking 'Finished' more than once can't cause page skips because for 'Finished' to work you must first click a page type, like Diary or Order. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I use the Firefox browser, if that matters.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

What diary are you doing Stork? If I have tagged it, I can refer to my notes regarding the pages. It may the case that other people have tagged the pages that are not coming up for you as they have already been tagged.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to Stork's comment.

I think that what's happening is exactly as Marie has said. The pages are likely skipping because five people have already tagged them. You can encounter a missing page here and there because someone decided to try tagging a diary and then left it for whatever reason. Maybe they tagged five pages and never came back. In the situation we are in now, with few diaries available and most of those nearly done, you'll see this happen more often.

Rest assured that you are not causing the pages to skip. I've developed the habit of watching the page number in the bottom right-hand corner after clicking Finish to see if there is a gap or not. If the page numbers are consecutive but the page content does not seem to be, then there may be pages out of order or missing.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think this is a particular issue at the moment because, as Cynthia says, we have so few diaries, and most of them are a good way through being completely tagged. It's likely you're landing on pages where we need another set of tags to get consensus.

It's frustrating, I know, but we're hoping to have more diaries uploaded shortly, which should stop this happening for the most part.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Great, thanks for your replies. This has been happening with quite a few diaries for several weeks. Your reasoning that the pages are likely skipping because five people have already tagged them sounds good to me. Thanks again...

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to Stork's comment.

Hi Stork - we exchanged messages about this a while ago, because I noticed you were tagging pages with the misfiled hashtag and saying they were missing, but when I checked the diaries they were not missing at all, you were simply not seeing them. Now while I agree with what the others have said above, that already having been tagged by 5 people is the usual reason for this happening, it was not the case at the time with the pages you were not seeing. I checked the diary where it was happening and only one other person had tagged the pages you didn't get presented with. So I'm not sure that you have yet got to the bottom of this.

I suggest that when new diaries are uploaded, you pick a brand new one that you can start at the very beginning of and then see what happens?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to HeatherC's comment.

That's really interesting, Heather. I tagged that same diary behind Stork and saw all of her misfiled hashtags and your replies to them.

I also did not see those same pages that Stork didn't see. So whatever the issue is, it's not something that's happening just to Stork.

That particular diary was the 406th Field Company, R.E., 4th Division, and there were a lot of pages I did not see throughout it. I would also assume it had been up for a long time rather than being one of the newer diaries that I understand had some technical issues.

Posted

I wonder whether it's an issue with the image files. Let us know if you have similar problems with other diaries, Stork.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Thanks for all the interest, I'm doing one of the new diaries now and no trouble yet...

Posted

• Stork by Stork

I'm on my 5th new diary and no skips at all.

Posted

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Posted