War Diaries Talk

Diary stopped loading

• Stork by Stork

I tagged pg 23 of 49 Infantry Brigade, 18 Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment

31 Jul 1918 – 30 May 1919 and pg 24 refused to load. All other diaries work fine.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm afraid I can't quite work out what the problem is there - have you tried refreshing the page? Ctrl-F5 often does the trick.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Yes, I tried refreshing many times, and every other trick I've learned, but it still doesn't load. It's no big problem, of course- there are plenty of other diaries to do.

Posted

I'm going to check this out with the Zooniverse guys - there's something a little odd with the most recent set of uploaded diaries not showing up in our little system behind the scenes, so possibly this issue has something to do with that.

I'll let you know when I get an update.

Posted

• oretd1 by oretd1

Having problems with casulalties, unit strength & grid ref tags unable to delete numbers or letters as the cursor is in front, and cannot get it to the rear of the number or letter, I have not been on line for awhile has this anything to do with it ?,

Cheers Jim

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to oretd1's comment.

It's not an issue I've come across before. Could you let us know what browser you're using?

If you can clear the cache, I would try that first and see if it makes any difference. Also, try reloading the page, which is usually achieved by pressing Ctrl-F5.

If none of that works, we'll have to get the Zooniverse guys involved to try and work things out.

Thanks, Rob

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

INFANTRY BRIGADE, 34 BATTALION LONDON REGIMENT (1 JUL 1918 - 30 APR 1919) WO/95/1979/3 Page 25 . Something I haven't experienced for a while now: the page would not respond to 'Finished', and appeared to have locked up. After a bit of fiddling it worked again but my posted comments did not appear on the 'Comments' field , so I repeated them, only to find the page then locked again. I closed the browser(Chrome) and reopened 'Classify', to find , hurrah!, a new page. However, the 'Comment' field contains the comments from the previous page. So the 'Comment' field is out of synch with the displayed page.
    Don't know where to go from here except to press on regardless.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to fisfiris's comment.

At the moment, no one is available who can answer your questions--I haven't got a clue--but I wanted to let you know that your post has been noticed. I'll try to find someone who can help you out.

If you are able to keep going, then go ahead and do that if you want, but definitely let us know if you continue to have trouble with pages locking up.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Just a little thing to mention, sometimes when I am putting comments in the comments box it does not respond and the entry will not go in. I then reload the page if this happens and it appears to correct itself. Sometimes it may take a couple of goes before the comment does go in the box. It happens now and again and including today. Using Windows 10, Chrome.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Now that you mention it, I have had that happen, too, Marie. I usually use Firefox, but I was using Chrome one day to use the contrast feature and that happened. I just let it go, but noticed that the comments appeared on the Talk page later. This was maybe two weeks ago or so, but I haven't used Chrome again since then. I didn't have any trouble with pages freezing, though, as @fisfiris described above. I wonder if his problem would happen if you need to clear your cache.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to fisfiris's comment.

Just wondering if you have tried clearing your browser cache. That often seems to help when volunteers here have technical issues like yours. I've also found that simply signing out, closing the browser, and restarting my computer also seems to help when it's acting up.

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

Thanks for all that; nice to know it's not just me. I'll try clearing the cache - looking for the dictionary now. I do try to keep up to date but....

Posted

Sorry to hear about these issues - are they still a problem for anybody, or was it one of those unexplained internet glitches which fixed itself?

Posted

• oretd1 by oretd1 in response to ral104's comment.

Sorry not been on line for a while. Had a break plus had the flu bug. Tried the ctrl and F5 as suggested but no joy. My browser is Internet explorer.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to oretd1's comment.

Glad to see you back 😃

You may need to clear your browser cache. Instructions for doing that here: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

That should fix the issue, but if it continues let us know and we'll do some more investigating.

Posted

• oretd1 by oretd1

Cleared the browser cache, just the same, seems as if my OWD data needs to be up dated as it looks as this laptop has the old system on it.

Jim

Posted

What version of internet explorer are you using, Jim? Do you have access to Chrome or Firefox? It might be worth trying OWD in them to see if it works better.

Posted

• oretd1 by oretd1

Gone on to Chrome everything seems to be okay except the two grid refs sections.

Jim

Posted

Okay, that sounds more promising. What's wrong with the grid ref sections?

Posted