War Diaries Talk

Problem using search in Talk

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    I'm using Chrome 40.0.2214.111 m. When I use the search facility in Talk I get the list of hits as expected. I then select which group of hits I want to see and then click on the link I want to view. 9 times out of 10 I get a blank page and if I use the back button on the browser I get the search page again but searching again just does nothing. I then have to close down my Talk tab and start again. It's a bit of a nuisance - is it just me? What am I doing wrong?
    Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi, Mike. Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, I don't think you're the only one experiencing these issues. Talk search is pretty buggy, but Zooniverse are working on a major update of Talk which we hope will fix these issues. In the meantime, if there's something specific you're looking for, let me know and I'll see if I can help find it.

Rob

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi Rob,
    Thanks for your reply. If it's not just me then that's fine - thought I was doing something wrong 😃 Here's hoping the new update is good! Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We sincerely apologize for the buggy search, @stoat11 ... hope it doesn't deter you from hanging out here on Talk!

We are working very hard at building the new system.

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    Any news on the search update? It's still pretty clunky.

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

Hi Mike,

As far as I'm aware, the new search function will be part of a wider upgrade of the Talk system, so it's unlikely to happen very quickly. That said, I'm sure it will be worth waiting for!

I'm sure @DZM can give a bit more detail.

In the meantime, what sort of things are you searching for? Perhaps we can help.

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    Thanks for your update. Usually I'm trying to locate a possible hashtag for something I've come across and haven't been able to locate in the hashtag documents. For instance, in the 21st Field Ambulance diary there are references to visits by the Surgeon General - Surgeon General isn't a "rank" as such in the "person" tag so I was looking to see if anyone else had bumped into it and used a hashtag.

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

In that instance, I'd use whatever tag you think appropriate. If it's something you're coming across a lot, just let us know and we can amend the list of hashtags to include it.

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi. Thanks for the update. I've used #surgeongeneral a few times now - surprise surprise 😃

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted