War Diaries Talk

Site crashing with iPad

• Nahameb by Nahameb

I discovered the War Diaries yesterday and did quite a lot of work but found the website kept crashing. It's now got to the point where I can't continue with the page I'm currently working on as everytime I touch the screen it crashes and takes me back to my iPad home screen. Has anyone any ideas as to what I can do to remedy this, please? Thank you!

Posted

• Nahameb by Nahameb

I discovered the War Diaries yesterday and did quite a lot of work. However, the website keeps crashing and has now got to the stage where it crashes out to my iPad home screen every time I touch the War Diary page I'm working on. Please has anyone got any idea what I can do to stop this? I should hate to have to stop working on the Diaries as I am really enjoying it. Thank you!

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator

Hi Nahameb,

I have never tried tagging using my iPad. BUT I have had the same behavior with apps and have cured it by closing down open apps and then shutting the iPad off completely. The reason this works is that it makes more memory available to the operating system and browser.

To shut off apps:

1. Give your home button two quick clicks. (Round button on the screen side of the iPad.)
    2. A task bar is displayed along the bottom of the screen. Put your finger on an image of the app and swipe up. This will close the app. Repeat for all apps.
    3. Now hold the on//off button down until you get the power off message and turn the iPad off.
    4. Restart the iPad, open Safari and open Operation War Diary.

Please let us know if this helps.

wildcatjenny

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator in response to Nahameb's comment.

Hi Nahmeb,

It closing apps on the iPad fix it?

wildcatjenny

Posted

• Nahameb by Nahameb

No, afraid not. I'm persevering but it's frustrating! Once it's decided to crash it keeps doing it. Problems vary. Currently I'm trying to post a Comment on one particular page but it doesn't seem to recognise I'm typing as the 140 characters doesn't change. Sometimes it sorts itself fairly quickly, other times (as with current problem) it's still not working the following morning.

Posted

• Nahameb by Nahameb

Update - just logged out and back in to see if that helped but the diary page I had been working on had disappeared, which was a shame as I was right at the end of it. 😦. The site also crashed slmost immediately. I shall try again later!

Posted

• Nahameb by Nahameb

Had one last go by clicking on the "Return to classifying" button. Took me to the right page and allowed me to post my comment so I was able to "Finish" the page. Please note though that is a recurring problem and I have problems like this with pretty well every page I tag. I would be soooo grateful if you can help with this as I'd love to carry on tagging.
    Thanks!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

We have a few others also having issues but frustratingly there doesn't seem to be a common denominator and it's not happening to everyone. Is there any chance you can try the site on a PC so we can see if yours is a problem unique to the iPad?

Posted