War Diaries Talk

Problem with entering Grid References.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Is this a bug problem? When entering Grid References on the diary page, I sometimes lose the diary page I have just tagged. The screen returns to the List of all the Diaries. I then go to this list and find my diary again and continue. I now do all the tagging on the diary page and leave the Grid Reference entry until the end - so I don't lose all the tags done. If I refreshed the page, would it still have all the tags on, or would the diary page not include the tagging done?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The tags you have placed are saved in the browser so provided you have not closed the browser then refreshing the page should work fine. This does sound like a bug though, especially if it only happens with that one tag?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It doesn't seem to be doing that for me. Which browser are you using?

Posted

I am using Windows Chrome. It happens quite a lot when using the grid tag.

Posted

Okay, I'll raise this with the Zooniverse support desk and see if they can suggest a solution.

Posted

Thanks Ral, just to let you know it happens when I enter the numbers in the grid box, generally the last couple of boxes for the figures, i.e c 8.9

Posted

Okay, thanks. No response from the support guys yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

I can't reproduce this bug in Chrome myself but I was wondering, does the screen go back to the list of diaries when you press backspace to delete the old grid reference numbers from the boxes?

By the way, you don't need to find your diary again from the list. If you click on Classify at the top, it should remember the last page you were working on, and your tags too.

Jim

Posted

Hello Jim, thanks for your reply. That is exactly what happens when I press the backspace button to delete. On reflection would it make a difference if I had pressed (not sure) the delete key also to put new numbers in? Thanks for the classify tip. Its good to have support from you all in Admin.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to marie.eklid@virginmedia.com's comment.

Most browsers, including Chrome, use backspace to go back one page, but that shouldn't happen when you're entering data into a form. I will have a look to see if I can find the problem. A quick fix would be to stop the grid reference tag from remembering previous values. I think that would be fine, since you're unlikely to find the same grid reference written multiple times in a diary entry.

By the way, does it happen when you use backspace to delete text for other tags, or only with the grid references?

Jim

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Actually, I've come across several cases where grid references repeat on the same page. They were Royal Engineer units who used a grid reference rather than a place name to mark their location for each of several entries on a page at the same location. There were also multiple uses of the same grid reference in the entry text where a section returned several times to the same bridge construction site, crossroads, etc. over the course of the entries on the same page.

Being able to simply move the same data in the grid reference boxes to all the different uses of it on one page saved my sanity! It was so easy to tag, for instance, all the uses of the reference for the bridge site one after another without having to re-enter it every time. Then I went back and changed the data once and tagged all the uses of the new data, then went back again.

I've also had infantry diaries where trench locations were indicated with grid references that repeated on the same page.

Posted

Hi Jim, it only happens with the grid reference.

Posted

Okay, so sounds like it would be useful for the grid ref tag to continue storing the data. Lets see what Jim suggests - he's much more qualified to answer these questions than me!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I agree with having the grid ref tag store the data. Just avoid using the backspace button. When the tag comes up, the cursor is already in the first box and you can press "delete" to remove the first character and type in the new one. Then just use the "Tab" key to move along the boxes and type in the new characters

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

I just made a change but I don't have access to a Windows PC here to test. Is the backspace key still causing problems?

Jim

Posted

No, I've tested it on IE and Firefox and there's no problem at all now.

I don't have access to Chrome, unfortunately.

Thanks, Jim!

Posted