War Diaries Talk

Why do I keep getting the same page

• Phillips by Phillips

After completing (I assume) several pages I then get a page I had tagged earlier .

Posted

• PollyPigeon by PollyPigeon

Yes, I am also having this problem.

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

are you on a small diary like 20 pages? or a diary nearing completion? since pages are checked by 5 users the software keeps issueing a page untill it gets enough completions, only issue is it can issue to the same person twice, so on a small diary or one with only a few uncompleted you can see the same one twice

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

This is now happening to me. I'm doing 1 CAVALRY DIVISION: 1 Field Squadron Royal Engineers (1 Aug 1914 - 31 Aug 1919) and am in August 1916. The 1 August 1916 entry is a long series of pages describing the defences the Squadron was building in the Fricourt area and having tagged about 8 pages for this date I then got presented with the first one again. Don't really want to do it all twice thanks so I shall stop till it gets sorted out.

Posted

OK now I wonder if these were duplicate pages scanned twice in error? I whizzed through them again and then it jumped from 1 August 1916 to 8 August 1916, so there may be some pages missing here.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

That's interesting. We show the National Archives catalogue reference and the page number at the bottom right. Is that page number jumping back? If it keeps going up, then that means pages have been duplicated by TNA. I think someone reported here that they'd found duplicates for one of the Welsh Regiments.

If you post the WO 95 reference and the page numbers here, I should be able to check to see if the images are the same for those pages.

Maybe we should start a #duplicate hashtag for duplicate pages?

Posted

I've looked back at "my recent pages" and the page number given there does jump back so if that's the one you meant then it looks like is a system glitch and not TNA. It did still jump over a few pages after it gave me the duplicates, though I suppose someone else could have tagged them?

Anyway the WO ref is WO/95/1103/2 and the repeat pages I was given started around 232

Posted

Thanks. That sounds like a glitch. There's some code in place to remember the last page you were working on, so that you don't lose your tagging work if you refresh the page or leave to post here on Talk. Sounds like that is occasionally remembering a page you've already worked on. I think it gave you a saved page, which should have been removed when you pressed finish, then jumped forward to the next page that you haven't tagged.

I've tried to reproduce this bug on a diary myself, but unfortunately can't get it to happen again.

Posted

Just got it again with page 248. And I have Talk open in a different tab so I don't leave the page at all when I come here.

Posted

It may be fixed now, if you reload the page, but I'm afraid I'm unable to reproduce the bug myself. Annoying. Do you see your previous tags when the old page loads for a second time?

Posted

The first time it happened (when I got a repeat of about 6 pages) no I did not. The second time (with page 248) yes I did.

Posted

I'd suggest submitting those tags again, by pressing finished. I'm keeping an eye on this discussion to see if this bug happens again.

Posted

That's exactly what I did do and I'll post again if it happens again. Thanks.

Posted

• charcinders by charcinders

I've just seen a couple of repeats of the page I've just done pop up. It's mind-numbingly dull yet very detailed diary pages from a unit kicking about in Cologne in 1919 so there's no way I'm doing it twice! I noticed the page number incremented for the repeats so I assumed they were duplicate scans.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to charcinders's comment.

Is that WO/95/1438/7? I just had a quick look through those scans and couldn't spot any duplicates, so maybe there is still a bug in the interface.

Posted

• Poodle by Poodle

This is happening to me in 1 East Surrey Regiment February / March 1916. Do we do them again? How can I tell if the tags were accepted the first time I did them? Can I click Other and finish with the duplicate page?

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator in response to Poodle's comment.

Yes, if you get a duplicate page, select OTHER and finish. We are investigating this frustrating issue. Thanks

Posted

• olems by olems moderator

I got a duplicate spaced a few pages apart a while ago, made a hashtag and a post on it at the time: AWD0000213 and AWD000024r

Also got a page with what appears to be a misaligned scan: AWD0000nje

Maybe some sort of report button for "bad" pages could be helpful?

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

could be an idea if we hit many more, but as far as im aware its single figures of issues in 1000s of pages so annoying, but wonderfully rare so far

Posted

• sh0j0h by sh0j0h

I've got a duplicate page on WO/95/1527/2. I did 30 pages of the diary then it changed to 6 or so cover pages followed by a duplicate of the first page. It claims to be page 36 of 109 so I assume this is a digitization glitch or repetition in the diary itself. I'm clicking other and marking the page with a comment.

Posted

• sh0j0h by sh0j0h

Sorry should have mentioned that I'm tagging the 5 Division: C Squadron Northants Yeomanry.

Posted

I've set up a collection to track the #duplicate hashtag
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/collections/CWDL000004

Looks like pages 30 to 36 of that diary, WO/95/1527/2 are indeed duplicates of the first 6 pages. I wonder if there's some way we can let the National Archives know when we find problems with the scans?

Posted

• sh0j0h by sh0j0h in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

I'm finding that the whole of April -June 1915 have been duplicated on that diary. I'm marking all the duplicates with the #duplicate hashtag in comments.

Posted

Wow, maybe we need a collection for all the bad scans that people find in the archive.

Posted