War Diaries Talk

FEATURE REQUEST: Historic maps

• Ex103 by Ex103

Just was wondering why it seems like I end up skipping a ton of pages when I log out and back in sometimes. (I generally hope I'm still at the very least staying within the same year! Cause most entries only list Month, Day or just Day.)

It would be helpful if I could flip back one page or at least view the lower 1/3 sense I've come across comments on these random pages that have seemed to carry over. Granted I know it's more of a 'context' issue but sometimes it helps seeing what was written before.

Other things? Maps OMG maps of 1914 (if they are available,) or whatever year the diary was taken in. Helps when trying to figure out if the author may have accidentally misspelled something or if it is referring to a certain area or river. . . verses a town or village. Granted I've been using Google Maps to zoom in on certain spots once I've found a major enough village (and doing some direction plotting,) to sort of get a feel for the area the unit is in and their relative motion as time passes, but there are times where I wonder if a old sector map from the era might be a bit better.

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator in response to Ex103's comment.

Maps is a great suggestion. We are planning to do something on this later, when we have some lovely data to plot on them.
    On logging in and out, etc, please see:
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000d/discussions/DWD000003l?page=3&comment_id=52d8504194cd3c13ee001212

Posted

• Ex103 by Ex103

Thanks Lukesmith.

Posted

• ww1chaplain by ww1chaplain scientist

Whilst there are a huge number of trench maps which identify front line units there is a lack of surviving maps that locate units that are in the rear areas. I use part of the town map for Bethune with units marked as my avatar and have a couple of others but still looking for a town map with units of St Omer.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

McMaster University in Canada have a whole load of scanned trench maps online, and I believe they are now name searchable

Posted

• PTF1 by PTF1

The British Library has recently added some WW1 maps on line at this link, which are geographically matched to modern google maps:

http://www.bl.uk/maps/georeferencingmap.html

Posted