War Diaries Talk

[FEATURE REQUEST] can tags be "on or off"?

• jomifl by jomifl

beginning to get the hang of it but I can't read what is under the white symbols that accumulate irrevesibly

Posted

• Mandark by Mandark

Yes, I couldn't get rid of all the tags which made reading the document very difficult.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Suggestion for this. Rather than doing the tagging in the order the tutorial gives - i.e. date, time, place, etc which does lead to not being able to read bits of text, do it by reading the page. Here's what I've been doing:

1. Tag the dates (place the tags where they don't obscure anything)
    2. Tag the times in the time column
    3. Tag places
    4. Read right through the page and tag stuff as you come to it. Yes you have to keep switching tag type, but it means you don't obscure text you want later and it also makes the story flow better!

Posted

• adrm2005 by adrm2005

Before everyone gets too excited, there are some serious drawbacks with the system that I and a lot of other contributors think require sorting. Chief amongst these is the inability to read through pages of the diary you are working on to get a fuller picture of what was happening, and then go back to the first page and start the process of tagging. This means you have to tag as you go, and when the reports are difficult to read or interprate, you can make mistakes. We have asked Zooniverse to remedy this before problems of limited and poor tagging corrupt the project.

It would also be good to be able to turn the existing tags "on or off" so that the tags no longer obscure text if you are reviewing the document you are working on. It would then make editing existing tags or adding new ones easier.

This a fantastic project, and needs to be as accurate as possible, thus my comments.

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator in response to adrm2005's comment.

There is much discussion of the 'no back button' question at:
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/52d846d194cd3c0b9d001287/discussions/DWD000003l

Thank you for the excellent feature request. We've added it to our growing list.

Find out more about IWM's Lives of the First World War

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator in response to jomifl's comment.

merging this with (excellent) suggestion to turn tags on and off.

Posted

• rpaulmanning by rpaulmanning

I'm a new contributor and it would be useful to rework earlier diary entries to correct mistakes/ommissions. Also, I started on a diary this morning and my tags are "invisible" although the detail is included in the profile.

Posted

• MartinCoulson by MartinCoulson

I am tagging 56 Field Company RE's early War Diary and found that "King Edward" has placed #hashtags (e.g. against 10 Dec 14 has put "#diagram of a Knife Rest Entanglement" but there is no evidence he/she has tagged dates, times, places etc (I can see none). So I am worried - am I repeating someone else's work? If the software is permitting this I will be annoyed as I am being extra careful (as an ex-Sapper...) and also "King Edward" seems to have done a good job.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to MartinCoulson's comment.

Hello, and thank you for volunteering your time to help! I'm here from Zooniverse so I can answer questions about how the tagging works. We're collecting tags in dependently from at least 7 people for each page, at the moment. We want to know what you think is relevant on a page, without being influenced by what other people have tagged, so we don't show you tags that have been added by other people. We'll collect all the tags added to each page, then analyse them to look for tags that have been placed by more than one person. From these, we hope to get some data to build an in-depth picture of Army life on the Western Front.

I hope that helps answer your question. I've been running some preliminary analysis of some of the diaries over the last couple of weeks and I think everyone has been doing a good job, by the way.

Posted

• MartinCoulson by MartinCoulson

OK, I understand (now...). But it would have been good if this had been explained at the outset. Perhaps when you've analysed the 'cloud' of data and found how good people have been you might reduce to 5 'taggers' per page.

Posted