War Diaries Talk

[BUG] Nothing happens when I press 'Finish'

• ftm42 by ftm42

Have to refresh in order to confirm 'finish', but then returns to the tutorial. I have checked that the tags have been retained so you don't lose info, but just needs cleaning up so that users are reassured that they have in fact finished and saved their work please.

Posted

• jimladrrr by jimladrrr

I am getting this on firefox - can't get past the tutorial...

Posted

• kemrobson by kemrobson in response to ftm42's comment.

How do you check that the tags have been retained?

Posted

• bonita777 by bonita777

I just finished my first page and yet nothing happens when I click on "finished". How do I deal with this? I don't want to spend the time on another diary page if it is going to be for naught.

Posted

• _aD by _aD

This happens to me using Firefox 26.0. If I use Internet Explorer 11 the site works.

Posted

• bonita777 by bonita777

I'm using Safari. Anyone else have this trouble on Safari? I could try to do this on my laptop, which has Explorer, I guess, but I'm sure it is a much earlier version since it's quite old.

Posted

• annew1verizon.net by annew1verizon.net

Same problem - "finished" doesn't take you away from the page, and also tags are not retained when you refresh. Help!

Posted

• annew1verizon.net by annew1verizon.net

Also could not get out of Tutorial

Posted

• lizzeet by lizzeet

Same here couldn't get past the tutorial, the 'finished' button doesn't work, am using Chrome, refresh doesn't work for me

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator

Hi Everyone,

The site requires latest versions of Chrome and Firefox and IE9+ on PC. On Mac its latest version of Safari. I'd like to hear more about the problems you are having as all should be well. I've moved this discussion to Bugs.

thanks,
    Luke

Posted

• MToler by MToler

Same problem with Finished button - nothing happens when pressing it. Even after refresh. - Chrome

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator in response to bonita777's comment.

We cam there is an issue here for some volunteers, but we are struggling to replicate . Will merge all 'can't finish ' bugs into this topic.

Posted

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator in response to ftm42's comment.

Merging this with other finish issues.

Posted

• Picardy by Picardy

Have had a similar problem today.
    Pressed finish and got a flash of a new diary page sliding in but then I just got the blank blue screen. I tried refreshing but this meant I had to re-sign in. Then every time (3 times) I tried to select a new diary page I just had a flash of the page and the blue screen. It worked fine for me last night. Same machine, OS and browser (firefox).

Posted

• Picardy by Picardy

Even more annoying is that I've just discovered that the page I carefully tagged today has not been saved. Is there a link between the number of tags and this 'finishing' bug? The page I was working on had lots of names, places etc. I would have made about 20 tags or more.

In saying that, there was a cover page preceding it and that doesn't appear to have been saved either.

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

I've been having a similar problem periodically -- I'll press finish and then instead of loading a new page, the same page (with all tags still there) reappears. Hitting "finish" again gets me a new page so it's not a huge problem, but it's a bit annoying.

Posted

• Milliest by Milliest in response to lukesmith's comment.

I'm using Chrome. OK so far except that today I after entering a few dates or times then nothing happens when I click either date or time again.

Posted

• MarieCeleste by MarieCeleste

Using Chrome - had no problems with "Finished" button until today. Now nothing happening when I press it.

Posted

• PollyPigeon by PollyPigeon

Yes, same with me. I'm also using Chrome and have had no problems until today, but now nothing happens when I press "Finished".

Posted

• makfai by makfai

I have same problem. Using latest Safari on iPad. No reaction from finished button or it closes down the programme

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Finish button not working correctly today for me. Latest FireFox and using a PC. On finishing tagging a page and pressing the Finish button, nothing happens.
    First time it failed I refreshed the page (tags were retained) and then it worked normally.
    Second time I went to the talk page to comment and instead of opening in a new tab like it's supposed to it acted like the finish button and changed the page...

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Thanks, that's really useful. I'm not sure why the talk link would change the page. Was that the 'Discuss this page' link in the comments box?

If our servers are slow in responding after you press Finished, then your submitted tags get queued and sent again later. There might be a bug there, although I'm struggling to reproduce it. I suspect the worse that would happen in a case like this is that your tags get saved twice. I don't think they would be lost.

Posted

It was the "white speech bubble" that you click to get to Talk/Comments. Seems to be Ok again now though it is slow, so maybe it was just slow response before. Hopefully won't happen again!

Posted

Thanks, that's very useful. I'll have a look at the code for the speech bubble button.

Posted

• Dallyhistory by Dallyhistory

The finish button has not been moving me on every time I have tried today so I haven't been able to move on from one page in the diary to the next because nothing appears to happen. I have use the back arrow at the top to go back to the "choose a diary page" in order to be able to tag another page. It is frustrating as it is easier to understand what you are reading the more pages you see from one diary.

Posted

• squiffy53 by squiffy53 in response to lukesmith's comment.

I'm getting the same problem. Using up to date Chrome and the latest Safari version on Mac. Nothing happens when I press finish so unsure whether I've saved info tagged or not

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to squiffy53's comment.

Does refreshing/reloading the page fix the problem?

Posted

• squiffy53 by squiffy53 in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Sorry for the delayed response. No that just takes me back to a page I've now completed 3 times and still can't move on using the "finished " button

Posted

I can't reproduce that using Chrome on a Mac. Can I ask which diary this is, and which page? If you click the speech bubble button, top right, there should be a link to that specific page here on Talk. It would be useful to have that link.

Posted

• squiffy53 by squiffy53 in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Sorry but I didn't record the pages I was working on. I did several last night but couldn't verify that I'd finished them. They were in the diary of 1 Cavalry Division, 7 Brigade RHA and A Column. I can see that not many pages have been completed to date although I think the number is greater now that last night. I was working on late October I think. There were references to ammunition used, a place called St Elie, a water tower and Verquignuel. Hope that helps.

Posted

• squiffy53 by squiffy53 in response to squiffy53's comment.

I was just trying another page in same diary April 14 1919. As soon as I pressed the speech bubble as mentioned above and then clicked again to remove it a new page appeared

Posted

• Ragdill by Ragdill

This is a real pain. Ive just spent 2 hours tagging pages unaware that the finished button wasn't working properly. I had assumed that it was just not moving onto the next page. I only realised there was a problem when I was presented with a page I had already tagged. So all the tags have been lost. You must make it more clear which browser you have to use to get this to work.
    I am using a Mac and I never use Safari by default.

Posted

• Ragdill by Ragdill

Ok I cant get the finished button to work at all. on Chrome Firefox or Safari.
    Running MAC OSX 10.6.8

Posted

Try refreshing the page (sometimes that helps) and/or logging right out and in again. If neither of those work then please let us know.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to Ragdill's comment.

Hi, we've tested Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera to tag diary pages on OS X (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mavericks) without any problems. As @HeatherC said, sometimes refreshing the page can clear temporary glitches.

Posted

• bootnecksbs by bootnecksbs

I'm using the latest version of Mozilla's Firefox and up until now (after nearly 2000 pages) I've never experienced this problem. I am now stuck on my latest page as the finish button is unresponsive and on two occasion I have been signed out of my account. As I'm typing this I have tried the finish button again and am redirected to the Diaries page. I imagine all the tags have been recorded? I will sign out, clean my caches and re sign on and shall report if all's ok., Fingers X'd, Max

Posted

• bootnecksbs by bootnecksbs

Me again, as per HeatherC suggested and pointed out by @eatyourgreens I did a refresh but this didn't changed anything so I signed out cleared my caches and signed back in to find, obviously, that all my tagging for the page I was working on had not been saved but curiously the comment in "Talk Comment" had been. Therefore I re-did the page in question and I'm pleased to say all is now tickey-boo! as when I pressed "Finish" this time the page refreshed to the next one.I would imagine it's script problem within the browser or a problem with the ISP. Anyhow, it's 00h24 so I'm going to get my head down. Happy Tagging All. Regards, Max

Posted

• Ragdill by Ragdill

I still cant get this to work have now tried chrome firefox and safari. I have an Mac.
    The tutorial appears to work when you press finished but not the real thing.

No sure how logging in and out has any effect as I havent actually managed to save anything yet. This is really frustrating.

Posted

• Ragdill by Ragdill

Have had to give up on my large screen imac. Have found success on my macbook which is OSX 10.9.3

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to Ragdill's comment.

So what operating system did your imac have? I'm not aware at the moment of anyone else who is still having this issue so maybe if anyone else is they could let us know?

Posted