War Diaries Talk

New Diaries

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi all,

There should be a new batch of diaries hitting the tagging queue shortly. These are a bit more of a mixed bag than the last batch - we're tidying up a bit while the clever people at the Zooniverse think about how to move us onto a newer version of their software.

Happy tagging!

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

That is good news about a batch of new diaries coming up. Will be interesting to see what they are. Hope the newer version of the software is Ok for us.

Re your remarks - Happy Tagging - I thoroughly enjoy tagging these diaries opens up ones mind to WW1.

PS Just noticed a the new diaries on the diary page just now.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to ral104's comment.

Any details about the new software worth sharing? I have just discovered the map expand on the geotag - dunno how long that has been available... Just shows how one gets stuck in a groove.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I also noticed that lately. The profile pages are still taking quite a while to load up.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to deehar's comment.

What do you mean by the map expand on the geotag?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

There's a button which appears if you hover over the map, which allows you to make it full screen. I assume that's a google innovation, rather than ours.

As for the new software, I don't know much about it, I'm afraid. Looking at newer projects, I would assume it will make it easier for us to upload new diaries ourselves. It might well improve Talk as well.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

On Windows 10 the icon is four outward-pointing arrowheads giving the message "Toggle fullscreen map" when hovering

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks, Rob and Deehar.

Posted

• johnclarke23 by johnclarke23

For personal interest reasons I bought a download of the 1/5th York and Lancaster war diaries. Being unable to read them easily I thought I would type them into Word format and initially tried to do it verbatim put in the misspellings, crossings out etc. but the realised that I may inadvertently put some in so I stopped doing that. I did however get rater interested in the war diaries and have now copied out into word the following battalion diaries for the York and Lancaster:-
    1/4th (Halamshires)
    1/5th (Rotherham)
    2/5th (Rotherham)
    8th
    12th (Sheffield City)
    Not being familiar with this site I am struggling to ascertain if these may be of interest and if so how they can be uploaded to the site for everyone to peruse.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to johnclarke23's comment.

Hi, and welcome to Operation War Diary.

What a lot of time and effort you've put into copying those diaries! I'm quite sure I wouldn't have the patience. And we appreciate your offer to add them to this site. Handwriting is frequently an issue here.

However, our project uses only the digitized versions of the diaries from the National Archives. They work directly with the Zooniverse platform to upload the diaries here.

In addition, there would be, I believe, copyright issues if we were to use your copies of those diaries. The NA holds the copyrights to all of the diaries and is fairly strict about how they are used.

Thanks again for your offer. I don't think we have actually had any of those diaries up for tagging yet. If you keep checking back, you may be able to catch them and work through them yourself.

Posted