War Diaries Talk

New Blog Post - The Evolution of Operation War Diary

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

We've had a few questions recently about whether we should be tagging certain activities, or tagging things which can be inferred from the diaries, but are not written down. Following publication of Richard Grayson's article, it seemed like a good time to address these issues and perhaps reconsider our approach to tagging in light of the way he used the data.

To that end, there's a new blog post up: https://blog.operationwardiary.org/2016/05/15/the-evolution-of-operation-war-diary/

Thanks to @fisfiris for suggesting this.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Good post, Rob. I know that my perceptions of the project as a whole, as well as my ability to contribute to it, have evolved. It's one of the things I like about this experience.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Timely reminder for us Rob. We have certainly evolved since the early days!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I thought I would add a thank you to Rob for answering the simple, yet important, question of where to place the tags for activities that are inferred but not explicitly spelled out in a given diary entry. It's good to have some guidelines for those "In the line" tags for an entry that says only "Same as yesterday" or, as another example I actually encountered, "Officer Zyzxx joined today." (Well, I didn't actually encounter that name!) Even more lengthy entries may not specifically say anything about being "In the line" although they talk about being shelled, pushing out patrols, or mounting an assault.

Posted