War Diaries Talk

Blog

• fisfiris by fisfiris

I read the blog with great interest and admiration for the amount of work it involves. Is it possible to have an article about POWs in Germany?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, @fisfiris. I don't get a chance to update it as much as I'd like to, but I'm hoping to get more articles up over the coming months. Great idea to include one on POWs - they're often overlooked in accounts of the war. I'll try and put something together next week.

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

That would be great. I have to confess an interest: my father was taken prisoner in spring '18, and later included the names of the camps in his whole war itinerary. However finding information on the individual camps seems impossible.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Information does seem to be scarce, unfortunately. The International Committee of the Red Cross recently digitised their First World War records. Have you had a look at them?

Just put the blog post up (there's a link to the ICRC site in it). It's a sketchy overview, but perhaps we can do more posts looking in some more detail at particular aspects of life in the camps.

Posted