War Diaries Talk

The importance of names - New Blog Post

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

http://blog.operationwardiary.org/2014/10/28/operation-war-diary-keeping-names-alive/

Thanks everybody for all the hard work you've put in tagging names - this is the most important part of Operation War Diary. Names make the rest of the tags real.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

I try very hard to read signatures but sometimes it is not possible to decipher the name with confidence. When taking part in the Merchant Seamans project for N.A. we were told to fill in as much of the name as possible and if some letters were illegible to type [...] to indicate missing letters. Is it better to transcribe as much as possible and leave out illegible letters, insert the brackets and dots for missing letters or leave out the name completely? I've been doing a bit of of all 3 lately but don't want to mess things up. Thanks Jan

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think because of the way our processing algorithm works, it's probably better to not tag the name at all if you can't work it out. But check on the forums first - I've been amazed at the incomprehensible squiggles people have managed to work out!

If it really is impossible to decipher parts of it, then I'd suggest noting what you can read as a comment, so other taggers can use that as a reference point when they try and read it.

Hope that helps.

Posted