War Diaries Talk

Voices of Operation War Diary - New Facebook Post

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I put this one together after reading pages from the diary of 8 Brigade, RFA. Check out the post and let us know which voices have affected you the most.

https://www.facebook.com/OperationWarDiary/posts/637840946299501:0

Posted

• lnnseagan by lnnseagan

Very true, some of the diaries has a more narrative style, which might not be as useful in the sense of data, but in other aspects it's breathtaking at times.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I'm currently doing the QOOH and the CO is clearly writing it himself in 1914 and early 1915 as the handwriting is the same as the signature and he often writes "I received orders" or similar. I wonder how long this will continue? I am aware that the same officer commanded the Regiment for the entire war so this could be fun! They were the first TF Regiment to arrive in France (mainly because of a personal connection with the Churchill family) and it's interesting to speculate what a huge shock it must have been for them to go from part-time soldiers to the BEF all in one go!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I can't even imagine what that must have been like for them, Heather.

I agree, @@Innseagan - sometimes the voice is so clear it's incredible. I've been dipping in and out of the diary of the 8th Mobile Vet. Section. They arrived in France at the very beginning, and one of the entries describes an enemy attack taking place across the field next to the one they were bivouacked in. The author says that if they'd been spotted, they would have stood no chance at all - they had something like three rifles between them, and a load of old pattern cavalry swords. It's not like reading an official account at all. More like being privy to somebody's private concerns and observations. Very moving.

Posted