War Diaries Talk

Newbie says hello

• cerib38 by cerib38

Hello Everyone this is all very exciting and enjoying it so far.
    Could some one tell me which page type appendix are listed in for adding the relevant tags
    TIA Ceri

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Here is the link for The Definite Hashtag list for the different things you should tag:
    https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05

There is also a The Definitive List of Things NOT to Hashtag Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000enf

When I started I copied and pasted The Definite Hashtag list into a word document in my WW1 file and printed a copy off, which is handy for reference.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Welcome to Operation War Diary!

I'm not sure what you are asking, so let me know if I've got it wrong, but I think you want to know how to tag the various types of pages that you sometimes find at the end of a diary for a given month. The most common types are Orders and Reports, but there are also a few others. You'll find them in the menu at the left hand side of the page.

Orders are usually labeled as such at the top of the first page of the set of orders; many are only one page long, so don't worry if you don't see a second page. Orders usually end with a signature by the officer responsible for writing them. The most common type of orders are for reliefs.

Reports most often cover the events in an attack or raid, but can also include such things as casualty lists and nominal rolls of officers for the unit. They may be labeled as a Report on Whatever, but not always.

The Field Guide tab on the Home page can give you further guidance about the types of pages and how to tag them. We're always happy to answer questions, but if the Field Guide can do it, then you won't have to wait hours for a reply!

The Definitive Hashtag List that Marie has pointed you towards is a list that evolved as the project got going and volunteers kept finding interesting things to mark that are not covered by the standard tags found on the diary page. If you come across anything that you think could be noted, you can leave a comment or a hashtagged word or phrase in the Comments box at the top-right of the diary page. However, I know that I had enough to think about just learning the standard tags at first, so don't feel obligated to leave comments or hashtags. The Definitive Hashtag List is also stickied on the Talk page.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Ceri - welcome aboard and thanks for getting involved! I think Cynthia's answered your question, but as she says, just fire away if anything else is unclear. We're always happy to help.

Rob

Posted

• cerib38 by cerib38

Thanks both Ceri

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

You are very welcome!

Posted