War Diaries Talk

Just joined...

• dno52 by dno52

I've been a student of the First World War for many years. The plethora of excellent information now becoming available is amazing...war diaries, Canadian attestation papers, service records online, etc. Very exciting indeed.

My primary interest is Canadian but when I noticed that one of the diaries was for the 8th (Howitzer) Brigade, RFA, I had to join and help with the tagging. This brigade was commanded by a Canadian, Lt. Col. Edward John Duffus, who had graduated from Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario in 1885. Great stuff and very interesting reading.

This is a terrific project.

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator in response to dno52's comment.

Welcome dno52!

I am in Calgary and so might be around when you are working on the diaries. You have signed on and found your way to the Discussion boards - so you are off to a very good start.

You will want to learn about comments and hashtags. These are powerful tools that let us highlight aspects of the War Diaries that might otherwise go unnoticed. But be warned.... When I first started using hashtags I tagged everything in sight. Comment on anything you like - but use hashtags sparingly. Each time you create a hashtag - stop to think whether on not it is a useful search term.

Please see: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05 for a list of hashtags we recently created to make it easier to gather information of special interest. Some hashtags in the list have been requested for specific projects and others have been suggested by our citizen historians. We hope that if we all use consistent hashtags it will help those who analyze the data we collect.

For more general information on how to work with hashtags please see: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD000034v

Once again, welcome! We are very glad that you have decided to become a Citizen Historian.

wildcatjenny

Posted

• dno52 by dno52

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Toronto...bit of a time difference, though not too bad.

i'll take it easy on the hashtags. Couldn't help but create one for snipers. The 61st Battery seemed particularly harassed by them.

Posted