War Diaries Talk

Hashtags for parts of the British Line

• neillintern by neillintern

I've been looking for clarification of whether or not you have to hashtag names that are past of the British front line, but can't seem to find anything, apologies if this has already been covered.

I'm assuming that you do have to hashtag the following...PIONEER, LANSDOWNE, PLUM STREET, GUARDS, etc. However, what is the hashtag you use to prefix this?

Thanks in advance.
    Neil

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

Hi Neil
    you can tag these as places - won't show up on the map so just ok them.

You might find it useful to click on the little clock symbol top right of the page - this gives a drop down list of the tags you have done for that page. This only works on a diary page.

Josie

Posted

• neillintern by neillintern in response to josiepegg's comment.

Hi Josie,

Thanks for the information, I'll do that and not hashtag them.

Cheers
    Neil

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Any place names you find, whether they are actual towns or names for trenches or other army locations, should be tagged using the Place tag found in the dropdown menu on the left-hand side of the diary page. They do not need to be noted in the Comments box, unless you feel there is something particularly noteworthy or interesting about the particular place.

We do have a list of standardized hashtags to use in addition to the project tags in the menus. It's called the Definitive Hashtag List and is in a thread under that name. You should be able to find it easily to the left of this post. This came about when our volunteers found certain types of information that didn't fit in the standard tags kept reappearing. Rob made up the list in order to collect these bits of information under one label for easy access. So you'll find, for example, references to casualties among horses under #horsescasualties.

The hashtag list is a nice addition to the project, but the core work is always using the tags on the left side of the diary pages. If you need help with those, the tutorial and the Field Guide are good sources.

Posted

• neillintern by neillintern in response to cyngast's comment.

Thanks again for your help Cynthia, think I've got it sorted out now.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

You're welcome, Neil.

Posted