War Diaries Talk

Chaos

• Lancsgreybeard by Lancsgreybeard

I am currently transcribing the end of March 1918 for the 6th Infantry Brigade 5 Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment.
    At March 24th the Germans attack and the author describes in great detail the chaos that ensues, so much detail that it is difficult to transcribe what is essentially a brilliant descriptive narrative, grueling but fascinating. Might make a good section for someone interested in Military History.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

You might like the diary Marie mentions in this thread: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000h/discussions/DWD0001df8?page=1&comment_id=596aa8c361ec3600b3000d9e

Lots of signals, rather than the more usual diary pages.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I once tagged a diary where the story of a battle was told in signals and other messages. I don't remember the battalion, but it took place on the Somme. The most memorable were a series of scrawled notes from a sergeant who was in a shell hole with two wounded lieutenants/2nd lieutenants. He wanted to know what he should do. Hours went by and there would be another message from him saying he was still waiting for orders.

On the other hand, I'm currently tagging the 1st Bn. East Surrey Regt. covering from the start of mobilization to the end of December 1914 and the story of this battalion is being told through lists of missing men (after the Battle of Mons), men who returned, casualties, officers' rolls and changes, and even a list of six men being held prisoner by the Germans. I've never tagged a diary with so many rolls of men for so many different reasons.

The overall sense I get from this battalion is one of confusion, which is understandable given the events of those months of the war. In addition, the original adjutant was taken prisoner. His spot was filled by the machine gun officer, who could tell a beautiful story of the events. The third, and still current adjutant at the end of November 1914, is a Capt. Creaghe. On top of these changes, the C.O. was sick for a few weeks and also tapped to command the brigade for a short period, and two different majors have taken temporary command in the C.O.'s absences.

ETA: I forgot the lists of promotions and appointments, which appear as orders, detailing which men became lance corporals, corporals, and sergeants. I've not seen this type of detail in OR appointments before.

Posted