War Diaries Talk

mistake?

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

On the previous page and day the Bn was in the Spanbroek Sector and on this page (also the next day) the Bn should be at Hazebrouck sector without any mentioning of a unit movement. I think the Bn is still in the Spanbroek Sector. Do I enter Spanbroek?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think you're quite right that the battalion is not at Hazebrouck, as there wasn't any fighting there in the spring of 1917, and they are clearly still in the front line. The author must have been daydreaming of getting out of the line!

As for how to tag it, I'm not sure. My first thought is to tag it as Spanbroek, and note the error in a comment. I'll ask Rob to take a look and give us his thoughts on tagging errors in the diaries. I have found grid references that are incorrect as well. Just yesterday, I found one that had the Germans bombarding their own lines with gas shells. The problem was that the second number in the reference was written as 2 when I'm pretty sure it should have been 20.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I agree that this is an error and I'm glad you've brought it up, as we don't really have a process for dealing with things like this.

I've added a new hashtag, #error, to the hashtag list. The best thing to do, as Cynthia suggests is to use this hashtag to add a comment explaining the error. Then I would tag the correct place, as long as you're certain of it, which in this case I think you can be.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

While we're on this subject, I've been wondering for a while what 'Sector' refers to. Someone please elucidate...

Posted

It's just a term for an area of operations. I'm not sure whether at some point there was an official definition of what a sector constituted, but it's one of those words that crops up a lot and is used to mean different things by different people. You see references to battlefield sectors - the large areas like the Somme - to areas within which a battalion was operating.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

So when I see 'Spanbroek Sector' in a diary, should I tag it as 'Spanbroek Sector' or 'Spanbroek?' The latter will bring up the location on the map, the former won't.

Posted

Just Spanbroek. Although in this case be careful - you might need to use Spanbroekmolen to get a hit on modern-day maps.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Got it, thanks

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I think I tagged the last pages as 1916 instead of 1917. Why can't the calendar stay on the last date one tagged?

Posted

Don't worry, Erik. It will get corrected by other taggers.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Erik, I can't tell you how many times I have done that! This is one way I handle it. When I have Finished a page and plan to sign out, I tag the first date that appears on the new page. When I come back later, the tag is still there and the calendar is on the correct date and year.

I, too, have wondered why the Date and Person tags don't hold previous information. The Date tag holds the information through a tagging session, at least, but the Person tag is always blank.

Posted