War Diaries Talk

Grid references potentially missed - hashtag?

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

Just wanted to offer a heads up on this.....
    The attached diagram illustrates the telephone network for 7th Division on 26/8/16. Many similar pages exist in the month-end documentation throughout the diary.
    Prepared by the R.E., they are full of detail - including grid references for all/most divisional sub-unit headquarters. This is potentially valuable information in other contexts, but there is no way to capture it here.
    Is there merit in creating a hashtag to cover this type of page, so that this data can be extracted at a later stage?
    Regards
    Peter

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks - that's really useful info, as you say. I think I'd be tempted to tag pages like this as a report and use the references tag to capture grid refs, but I agree that setting up a hashtag to allow us to identify such pages later on would also be very useful.

I'd suggest #annotatedreport. Any other thoughts, anybody?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

If the grid references were entered in the comment box at the top of the diary page ( if there were not too many) would they be picked up and noted? or a #mapgridreference tag.

Posted

I think it would probably be easier for us to extract them from a tag, rather than the comments box, due to all the varying ways they might be entered.

Posted

I see your point about extracting them from a tag instead of a comment box - A tag seems a better suggestion.

Posted

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad in response to ral104's comment.

Happy to use #annotatedreport. Taking your suggestion a little further - how about simply #annotated. It could then be used in conjunction with other hashtags to indicate documents where there is other relevant, hand-written information. For example, #annotated #diagram; #annotated #map; #annotated #sketch etc. Regards Peter

Posted

Great suggestion, Peter. Thank you.

Unless anybody has anything to add, I'll update the hashtag list shortly.

Thanks again!

Posted

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

OK, thanks.

While you're considering updating the hashtag list, may I put forward another suggestion? Still with the same unit, but they've now moved into an area formerly occupied by the enemy. There is a lot of activity around recovery of enemy telephone wire, and in some cases testing and adopting telephone lines that are still working. It feels like we could use a hashtag like #salvage to cover this type of activity?

Regards Peter

Posted

I can definitely see a use for that. I've come across a lot of references to salvaging shell cases in various diaries.

Posted

Hashtag list updated.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I wanted to bump this to draw attention to the original way that the hashtag #annotated was intended to be used. We're now seeing quite a few people using it in ways other than that originally intended I think?

As I understand it this was for capturing information that could NOT be captured with a normal tag. So for example you don't use it with a grid reference if you can use the standard grid reference tag.

Also it was meant to be a "two part" tag? So the word "annotated" first (tagged on its own) and then a description of whatever the attention was being drawn to - sketch, map .grid, etc, rather than tagging it all as one word?

Posted

Good point, Heather. #annotated certainly shouldn't take the place of a standard tag where one exists, and the more info we can record against it when it is used the better, hence the two part nature of it you mention.

I haven't really been keeping track of the tag, so I'm glad you noticed it.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to ral104's comment.

I must confess Rob it was part of me "catching up" with things, having not been very active of late!

Posted

It's good to see you any time 😃

Posted

Re the annotated tag. I tend to use this when map and grid references appear in orders, reports etc. I do not use it on diary pages where map references and grid references are shown because there is already a tag for these.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Thanks Marie - that makes perfect sense.

Posted