War Diaries Talk

Uniforms

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Lately there has been a few entries making specific reference to different types of German uniforms. The author obviously feels this to be an important piece of information ie. blue hats, green hats with black 'ornaments' etc. I have hashtagged these as being relevant since they are worn by Germans in trench firing on my unit. Should I continue to do so?

Image AWD00014by and

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to Jan Greenslade's comment.

Thanks, Jan. Yes, I think hashtagging these details is a good idea. However, I would use a general term, such as #germanuniforms, so we can group them all together later on.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

It's an interesting example of basic intelligence gathering, trying to identify exactly who the current enemy unit facing you is. One of the primary reasons for trench raids was to capture identifying information.

It's also worth noting that tehre wasn't a single German army as such. Prussian units made up the bulk, but Bavarian, Saxon and Wuerttemberg had quite ditinct identities (rather like Australian, New Zealand, South African and Canadian units with the British Army - a unified command structure, but distinct identities).

Posted

21st June 1915 observer identified Germans in trench facing us as from 179th Regiment 19th Saxon Corps. This Regiment has not been seen in this area since 5/6th May 1915.
    Image AWD000148i

Posted

Men observed wearing small grey soft caps with no coloured band, similar to French Kepi. Image AWD000149g

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to ral104's comment.

Thank you, will do.

Posted

Man observed wearing grey flat cap with dark blue band. Another in blue cap with yellow band and white badge.
    Image AWD000149d

Posted

Several enemy observed wearing grey caps with light blue bands – 3 August
    Image AWD00014ab

Posted