War Diaries Talk

Flares

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

There are quite a lot of references to Germans sending up coloured flares over my Battalion's positions. Wondered whether anyone else was experiencing this and how they were tagging the activity. Most recent incident states: Red lights seen beyond ridge to our front. There is a website listing all colours used by Germans and for what purpose. For anyone interested the web site is: http://theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft/47273-flare-colors.html

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Jan. Sounds like a new hashtag is required! Certainly this is interesting information to capture in some way. I'd suggest #flares

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Jan

Which Unit is this and what sort of date are we talking about? Be interesting if anyone else can post what they are finding on this subject too.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to HeatherC's comment.

Heather the Unit is the 2 Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers about August/September 1915 - sorry can't find my note of exact dates. When I come across more I'll post the dates. You asked earlier about my posting the image how do I do this?

Posted

Jan - to post a link to a page, you need to first find that page in your "recent pages" and that will only work if it's one of the last half dozen or so you have tagged.

1. Go to your profile on the diary classification page (click the link at the top of the classification page)
    2. Scroll down to recent pages
    3. Find the right one and click on it to open it
    4. Copy the unique link from the top browser bar
    5. Paste it here

Alternatively if you made a comment or hashtag on the page at the time you will find it in your Talk profile

1. Click on the profile link at the top of this Talk page
    2. Look through your "My recent object comments", note you can load more pages than are at first visible by clicking "load more" on the right hand side.
    3. When you find the page you want, click to open it and then proceed as for 4 and 5 above.

Hope that makes sense!

Heather

Posted

Aeroplane dropped yellow lights over our lines.

Image AWD0001498

Posted

Hi Jan - I think you have linked the wrong page? It's actually this one http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00014bi

Can I also suggest that no matter what word the diarist uses - lights, flares, signals or whatever, you use the hashtag #flares then all the pages will be collected together.

Posted

German searchlight signalling German victory - 11th April 1915

Image AWD000148m

Posted

Enemy sent up green signal light on parachute principle. Searchlight signalled to centre of our company.
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD000149r

Posted

Enemy showed red flares during the night and shortly afterwards they began to shell our guns. Image AWD000148k

Posted

10.30pm Red lights were shown on our right. Then at 12.35am the enemy showed a green light on our right flank, which was where the enterprise took place.

Image AWD0001497

Posted

14 successive points of light of reddish colour followed by one green seen in the sky at varying heights and irregular intervals. Almost immediately this was followed by enemy guns opening on our position on right.
    Image AWD00014bc Image AWD00014c4

Posted

Hi Jan - Interesting stuff but can I ask you to hashtag all the pages with #flares regardless of the colour or the type (lights, rockets, whatever) because that way they all show up together in a search, whereas if we use a different hashtag every time they won't.

Heather

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, using #flares will allow us to make full use of this really interesting information later on. Thanks!

Posted

1st June 1915 red and green flares seen behind our lines on right. Green star shells followed by one white at 30second intervals and another white a minute later. 2.40am red flare in rear of enemy trench opposite our left. 5am enemy fired 23 shells over our sector. Image AWD00014bg

Posted

Green floating flare observed fired from German line opposite, on extreme right between 11.05 - 11.45pm.
    Image AWD00014a1

Posted

German aircraft observed at dusk dropping clusters of white flares over their lines to ensure they did not fire on him.
    Image AWD00014bq

Posted