War Diaries Talk

Aeroplanes

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Forgive me if this has been covered but I haven't found an answer. Is it possible to have specific tags for aeroplane activities as they can be quite involved and 'attack and firing' really doesn't cover their tremendous input. Diary writers are very precise about what the flyers do and how many planes take part in actions.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi Jan,
    I understand what you mean. Although this information might seem very important to us, we have to remember that we must only tag the activity of the unit that we're working on. There may be a diary at some point that will cover the Air Force and if so, that would cover these incidents. I don't know if this will be of any help but as there isn't a tag for aeroplanes, I'd carry on as you have been and put anything of note in the comments. Hope this helps.
    Maria.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Jan

The question was asked at a Project meeting on Friday and the point was made that while such activities may be interesting they are rarely being carried out by the Unit whose diary it is and the real point is to record the activities of that Unit, not everything else going on around them. I think two further points arise from that:

1. If you do have evidence that the Unit itself was involved in such activity then post the links here to improve the argument for new tags
    2. Keep hashtagging aeroplanes if you wish and maybe add some of the more interesting stuff to a new thread (maybe on the History board?) That way, people involved in the Project can see examples of what you mean.

Heather

Posted

Thank Heather and Maria I shall follow your suggestions.

Posted

Contact Patrol Aeroplane
    Hope this is not a repeat request but my computer threw a wobbly as I posted it yesterday. I have come across this entry and wondered whether anyone else has, or knows any more about it? Image AWD0000ze7 . I found this website with some information. http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/other-wwi-aviation/42474-contact-patrols.html
    I appreciate these operations are not carried out by my Battalion but the plane was patrolling over their positions and I am personally very interested to know where to get more information. Thanks Jan.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Jan

I imagine the answer is that specific details of operations will appear in the relevant RFC Unit diaries. I don't think most have even been digitised yet?

There are a few decent hits if you Google "contact patrol RFC" which explain a little more about them.

Posted