War Diaries Talk

Miners

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

There is a tag for working parties but not for mining parties or their work. As this was such a vital part of operations how should I tag them as neither working parties nor 'other' seem adequate?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Jan

Good question. I agree with you that none of the existing tags seem adequate for this task. I assume we are talking here about the men who were tunnelling under the German lines to lay the mines often blown at the start of an attack? I know we've said before that we can't tag everything but as you say this was a vital (and I think very interesting) part of Operations so it might be a case for a tag of its own? In the meantime although it's not very satisfactory I suggest you use other and hashtag "mine" or "mining" so the entries can be found again?

Heather

Posted

Heather, regarding miners casualties - are they counted as combat or non-combat? Regards, Jan

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Good question and I'm not really sure. I suppose it depends exactly how they died. Got any example pages?

Edit - never mind I found this one http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001dde

I think unless it gives the circumstances of how they were injured and it is obviously non-combat - e.g. an accident, then you have to assume that "casualties wounded" means in combat.

Posted

Thank you Heather, so far no enlargement of injuries noted as to where/when/how, so will assume combat.

Posted