War Diaries Talk

Hashtags

• canalboat by canalboat

Can someone explain the use of hashtags please.

Posted

• spof by spof moderator

Hashtags allow taggers to create mini collections of pages with a common subject that aren't required by tagging. Click on one of the featured hashtags such as king and then look at the pages and you'll see the King mentioned in each of them. You can use multiple hashtags for each page so if the King presented medals to some men, you could hashtag King and medals or even which medal.

I think they will be used later as well but I am not sure about that. Hopefully one of the project people can advise.

Posted

• makfai by makfai

Do we have a tutorial on using these? How to create etc?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Try here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000f/discussions/DWD00002qe

If you have a specific issue then please describe it and we'll try to help.

Posted

• makfai by makfai

I thought it might be useful to have a piece in the guide or wherever which explains how to use hashtags. I also thought - to avoid duplication - that there may have been a dropdown menu type choice of hashtags. For example, I see we have "horse" and "horses".

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I've made an FAQ here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000f/discussions/DWD000034v which I hope might help.

I agree it might be useful to have an explanation in the Guide but that's beyond my powers I'm afraid!

Posted

• jbainbridge by jbainbridge

Sorry, I am obviously very thick but having read all the above and followed the links I still don't understand this. I think I have at last worked out how to write the hashtags but I don't understand how to attach them to specific words.

Posted

• RobinLucas by RobinLucas

To add a hashtag, use the white comments icon to the left of the finish button. Enter the text you wish to highlight and prefix the word(s) with a # - e.g. "This is a #hashtag"

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to jbainbridge's comment.

Once you have decided there is a bit in your page that you want to hashtag - let's say it's December 25th and they are talking about Christmas and you want to add a hashtag to that, here's what you do. First of all you can't add the hashtag directly into the text, you have to put it in the comments box. Also you aren't attaching it to a word in the text, you are simply highlighting to others that there's something interesting on the page.

1. Click on the little white "speech bubble" icon at the top right next to the Finish button. This opens a white box called "Talk Comments"
    2. Click inside the box (where it says "say something or add a #tag") and type in the text from your page which you think is worth highlighting to others, including the hashtag - so in this case type #Christmas Day. You don't need to type loads, just the word with the hashtag unless you want to add more.
    3. Click on "post Comment" under the comments box. This then "posts" (and saves) the hashtag
    4. Click on the white speech bubble icon again to shut the Comments box
    5. Return to tagging.

Does that help at all?

Posted

• makfai by makfai

That is a better explanation.

Posted

• jbainbridge by jbainbridge

Much clearer now, thank you!

Posted