War Diaries Talk

Help with a word please

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

I can't work out this word at the end of 2nd last line.A pat on the back will be your reward!

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator in response to 141Dial34's comment.

Hi 141Dial34!

Maybe "shame" ? Would be interested to see what others think. Nice deciphering job, BTW, not easy to read!

wildcatjenny

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Very difficult to make out, but could it be 'action'? It definitely seems to be referring to the amount of hardship the troops have had to deal with.

I'm going to move this to Handwriting help...

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I can't make that word out, but the suggestion that it is "action" makes sense. To me, clearly the intent of the comment is to note how extremely difficult the past six weeks have been for everyone.

I do think that in the last line, over on the left it reads "thrown upon all fighting ranks..." rather than "thrown over..."

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Could it be: as the strain thrown upon all fighting ranks ...

Posted

• vishep by vishep

The strain thrown upon all fighting ranks in the past six weeks has been excessive.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to marie.eklid@virginmedia.com's comment.

and the pat on the back goes to all who helped but marie.eklid wins the best pat..ty all(I love the challenge of the scrip reading thanks for the privilege of helping)

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Good job, everybody! I think it is strain, isn't it?

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator in response to ral104's comment.

I think that makes the most sense.

Posted