War Diaries Talk

'Certificates of neutrality'?

• SarahPowell by SarahPowell

At the bottom of the page at http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0002vi0 - does it really say that certificates of neutrality were inspected, and if so what were they? (This is an Indian Field Cavalry Ambulance diary.)

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think it might be 'unfit rates of neutrality', if that makes any sense...

Sounds like it should be tagged #equipmentevaluation.

Posted

I don't think it's 'unfit' - I've seen a lot of this handwriting (which is messy but fairly consistent) and I am sure it's 'tif' in the middle, not 'fit'. It wouldn't have anything to do with followers, would it? As non-fighting men would they be entitled to neutrality?

Posted

Well, it seems to have something to do with the 'Inspection of tube helmets' mentioned beforehand. They were a type of gas mask. So, if it does say 'Certificate of neutrality' it could be in reference to them being up to the job of neutralising poisonous gasses.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I think it's one item in a list of items that personnel were supposed to always have with them - Tube helmets, certificates of neutrality, 1st field dressings iron rations & identity discs.

I'm not sure what certificates of neutrality were but it may have been something that identified them as medical personnel?

Posted

Oh, I see. That makes sense!

Posted

Yes, that does make sense. Thanks Heather!

Posted