War Diaries Talk

CC Hs 2nd?

• elcwt by elcwt

Can anybody help with the company(?) name that is abbreviated on this page several times?
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001bmo

Sometimes it appears as something like C.C. Hs 2nd(?), sometimes C Coy H? 2?, sometimes H 2nd(?) C.C.

Thanks!

Posted

• Poodle by Poodle

Cavalry Corps HeadQuarters?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I'd agree with @Poodle The odd part is the number 2. There was no 2nd Cavalry Corps, just the one Corps which consisted of 3 Cavalry Divisions. It's possible the 2 is referring to the HQ of the 2nd Cav Div or even 2nd Cav Brigade and is using "Cavalry Corps" to refer to the overall name for all Cavalry Units rather than to the formation known as a Corps. (If you see what I mean!) but even this is slightly odd as 13MVS were in the 3rd Cav Div not the 2nd.

In any case, tag what you see in each case rather than trying to interpret it, frustrating though it is in this case when what is clearly the same Unit is referred to in at least 3 different ways!

Posted

• Poodle by Poodle

Sorry, I didn't explain. What looks like 2 is actually the way the capital Q is written in cursive handwriting. So Hd 2rs is actually Hd Qrs - Headquarters.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I didn't see it like that at all but now you say it, it's obvious! So Cavalry Corps HQ it is then.

Posted