War Diaries Talk

"Coy" or "Corp" or something else?

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

I've come across this a lot! Take a look at this page - 5 DIVISION: 1 Battalion Devonshire Regiment , specifically, look at the entry for 25th March. "No's 1 and 4 Coy" or "Corp" or something else??? Another page I worked on earlier today, a comment was made by another tagger and he/she thought this was "Coy". I've not heard of this word being used. Just curious what you think since I see it a lot lately. Thanks!

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator

Hi Ikinawana!
    It looks to me like it is "Coy" which is used as a short hand for "company".

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA in response to wildcatjenny's comment.

Thank you! "Company" makes sense now that you mention it! I guess this is a good example of how the written language has changed. Thanks again!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Coy is still the shortened form of Company in the British Army today. I always assumed it was the same in the US, but I must have been wrong.

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA in response to ral104's comment.

Interesting! In the US military, the acronym for "Company" is "Co" although it could have been the same during WWI.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

We need to get our hands on the American Expeditionary Force diaries (or equivalent) so we can check this...

Posted