War Diaries Talk

Anyone else having a problem with the Google Map Box on the diary pages?

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Tagged diaries yesterday, no place areas coming up in the google map box of the diary. Cleared Cache. Today Friday same problem. Cleared my cache again, and as usual closed down my laptop, signing out. When signing back in again the same problem. Anyone else having this problem.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I just tried a few and the box just isn't responding at all. It lets me type in a new place name, but nothing happens when I hit enter.

Google may be updating maps, it being a new year and all. But that's just a guess on my part.

I'll keep an eye on it and alert Rob to the issue if it doesn't improve over the weekend.

Posted

Thanks for letting me know this Cynthia. If it improves I will let you know.

Posted

I've sent off a message to Zooniverse but I have no idea when they might respond. Or if they can do anything about it.

Will keep you updated.

Posted

It looks like the geolocator (our Place tag) is indeed not working at the moment. I'm not sure when I'll have further information on this, but I don't expect anything until at least Monday, Jan. 7.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Geolocator is still not working for me today. Just when my unit is moving at speed across country! Surprising how much you miss it.

Posted

I agree with you deehar, especially when as you say, they are moving around.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Problems since yesterday. I suppose we can go on tagging

Posted

Yes, you can go on tagging.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Geotagging still not working before and after clearing cache.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to deehar's comment.

Clearing your cache won't fix the geolocator this time. The problem is on their end.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Sad times: Yahoo shut down their Yahoo Query Language service on Thursday 3rd Jan 2019: https://developer.yahoo.com/yql/

Operation War Diary was using that service to request the map data for place names. I've replaced it with free access to map data from geonames.org. That should give a limited amount of access to lat/long data, depending on how many people are classifying and how many places are being recorded. I think we're allowed to geocode something like 1000 place names/day. So you may still see that map data is sometimes not available for place names, depending on how much classifying is being done on a given day.

I imagine at this point, 5 years after we first launched the project, most of the place names mentioned in the diaries have already been mapped by our volunteers. Do we know if the project team at the Imperial War Museum or the National Archives still needs map data for place names?

Jim

Posted

Thank your for the interesting information you have just posted re map data.

Hoping the map data you arranged from geonames.org. will be of help!

Posted

Places are now appearing on the diary Google map box now. Thank-you!

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

I don't have that luck 😦

Posted

Eric, I just thought I would mention that if you put a place name in and it appears on the Google Map Service and it is in capitals, it (sometimes) does not come up in the Diary google map box.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm typing this through a baby at the moment, so can't give much detail, but I will post an update on the wider goings on around the project tomorrow.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Thanks for posting that update, Jim.

You explained it in far more detail than I could. And thank you for coming up with a possible replacement.

I imagine most names of established towns have been tagged by now, but just when I think there can't possibly be another town in this part of France, up comes a name that at least seems new to me. Although I suppose I might not actually remember them all.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Thanks for putting in the fix, Jim!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I've posted an update about OWD here: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000l/discussions/DWD0001p5a

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Erik, is the place tag working for you today? Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Yes it does. Can even find my hometown 😉

Posted