War Diaries Talk

DIVISIONAL TROOPS DIVISIONAL AMMUNITION COLUMN (1914-11-01) (1 NOV 1914 - 31 MAY 1919)

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    I am tagging this diary but had to leave it for a while. I was on page 67 when I stopped and when I started again I got to page 69 which was a cover page and then the diary jumped to page 152 which just has dates of 26th through 30th but no month or year.
    I'm stumped.
    Can you help?

Mike

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Mike, I wonder if this helps.

I went into this diary on the diary selection page and the next page to come up for tagging was page 154. This page is dated 31/7/1917 through to 6/8/1917.

Probably other people are tagging this diary and the pages you did not receive were probably tagged by them.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to stoat11's comment.

Hi, Mike,

I went and had a look at this diary in our data digger and the dates 26th through 30th are from July, 1917. You should come to a cover page next which is dated 31-7-17 through 31-8-17.

Whenever this happens, you can move ahead by setting up the date tag to include just the actual date. You have to set up a complete date, such as 26 month year, and then delete the month and year. The drawback to this is that you have to remember to do this for every date on the page, as the date tag default will include the month and year you set up when you move to the next day.

I'm not sure why your pages jumped from 69 to 152. The data shows just three taggers have finished the pages included in July, 1917. However, there is a lag of sometimes a few days between a page being finished and the data showing up in the data digger.

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi Marie and cygnast.
    I thought I had replied to your messages a few days back but it looks like I did something wrong 😃

Many thanks for your help with this. I'm back on track again.

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    This diary has done a similar thing I'm afraid. Page 161 to Page 214 - and that just has the day number recorded. I went at it through the diary selection page and it just gave me page 214 again 😃 I've tagged it as suggested with just the day. The next page is signed and dated 1.11.18 so the previous must have been Oct 1918.

Cheers
    Mike

Posted

I'm sorry you keep encountering these big jumps. It seems to happen when we don't have a lot of diaries to choose from and all of our taggers are working on the same few diaries. If you don't want to tag every day, when you do log in you still get the page where you left off, but the pages following it may have already been tagged by five other volunteers. So you get jumped to the next available page, which in the case you described above was 214.

This has also been happening to me recently, too. I generally don't do much tagging during the work week; I just don't have the mental energy or time for it. So when I have logged in on the past couple of weekends, the pages following where I was have already been tagged by five other people.

I'm afraid this is the way it will be for a while. If you haven't already seen it, be sure to read The Future of OWD in the Welcome to Operation War Diary section of the Talk page. There will be some changes and challenges coming up and Rob has explained them all in this thread.

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    Many thanks for your upate. I hadn't seen The Future of OWD post so thanks again for telling me about it. I do hope we can continue.

Mike

Posted

We're hoping so, too.

You don't post here as often as some of our volunteers, which is fine, but often enough that I wanted to make sure you know what is going on.

Posted