War Diaries Talk

Query re diary dates of Divisional Troops: Divisional Train (17, 19, 23, 24, Companies) A.S.C. Link:

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Moderators. Query re a comment in the comment box for the diary of Divisional Troops: Divisional Train (17, 19, 23, 24, Companies) A.S.C. Link:

https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003tht

Diary profile page is 145 seems to be 1- 12 December shows no date. With reference to person tagging this page querying the dates. I would have said the year was 1914. Because this diary on the diary selection page states the dates run from 1 Aug 1914-31 Dec 1914 and Pages running to page 170.

When I went into this diary to see if the year would show up, Page 170 appeared for 17th-19th Jan. (so that must probably be 1915). The diary has now gone from the diary selection page, having been tagged. I just thought I would mention this to you. Could this be a misfiled diary heading?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Yes, it does go through January, 1915.

This kind of minor error in the label is not something we really need to be too concerned about. For one thing, we can't do anything about it. Once a diary is finished, as this one is, we no longer have access to it. The National Archives did all the digitizing, and presumably the labeling. They are organizing the data we create as well.

Also, remember that comments such as the one that caught your attention are generated by only one of the five people who tagged this page. When a tagger comes into a diary that is already partially finished, it can sometimes be difficult to work out the year or even the month if the dates are only the number of that day. However, other taggers who have worked through from the previous pages probably tagged the complete date, so our data will be correct.

Our system has this fail-safe feature for just this reason. We can relax and get on with our tagging rather than worrying about minor errors in the details.

Posted