War Diaries Talk

Moderators: Query when I tagged dates on pages for 1 Btn Irish Guards Diary

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

As entered by Author on pages for March 1917. Following pages are slightly confusing for anyone tagging them, sequence as under:-

Profile page 247 - diary page 248* - shows dates 17-21st March 1917. Authors page No. 7.

Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046mt

Profile page 248 - diary page 249 – shows date 18th, middle of page only. Authors page No.8.

Because this page (I tagged as March 1917), followed diary page 248, having thought the Author had entered the incorrect date of 18th. Made following correction comment re date.

#correction date is 18/3/17 (although there has been a page covering 17-21 March – reported to Moderator).

Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046gc

Profile page 249 - diary page 250 - shows dates 19-31st. Authors page No. 9.

Believe the Author is just recapping some events in the first paragraph. As he has made entries for 17th up to 21st March earlier on diary page 247.

Made comment on this page 250: Page reported to Moderator re dates. Diary P. 248 included dates also from 17-21st. Tagged dates as shown.

Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046jb

Hope you can understand this entry.

PS The profiles page is still very slow loading up - sometimes does not include the last 10 pages of profile. Although I know this has been mentioned before.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie, your first two links are the same page.

I'll talk to Rob about the Profile page being so slow to load. It would be nice if something can be done about it.

Posted

Cynthia, I have now inserted the correct link in the above message for the 17-21st March 1917. When trying to go back to the profile page quite a few times, may have made me enter the incorrect link.

Posted

Now that I've had time to take a good look at these, something is off. The activities of the 18th as listed on each page don't coincide.

On the first page, the entry for the 17th says the battalion marched to Maurepas and the 18th's entry says the day was spent in resting and cleaning up.

On the second page, they were in the line on the 18th and when relieved marched to Combles.

So the two pages are not from the same month or year or unit. I'll have to go have a look at the whole diary to see if there are any clues there.

Posted

I think it is the first page that doesn't belong here. It also doesn't agree with the third page you posted that states the battalion spent the 19th through the 30th at Combles doing fatigues, while the first page says the battalion went back into the line on the the 20th and 21st.

I noticed that the first page you posted gives Maurepas as its location. I looked at my notes on the 2nd Coldstream Guards and found they were in and out of Maurepas several times between mid-February and late April, 1917. Towards the end of May they moved up to the Ypres area.

I think that page 248 must be from a different diary. I also looked ahead and it doesn't seem to belong in the next two months.

Posted

Cynthia, I do believe the diary pages do belong to the 1st Btn Irish Guards.

i.e The Author on the top of the following pages states: pages 7, 8 and 9, They are all headed
    and the top of the pages stating 1 Btn Irish Guards.

Profile page 247 Dates 17/18/19/20/21st.
    17th to Maurepas – accommodation. 18/19th General routine in camp. 20th to Frecourt Area.
    Relieved 2nd Coldstream Guards, went into support.
    Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046mt

Profile page 248 Date states (date of 18th in middle of page). From support taking over from 2nd Coldstream Guards from Manicourt-les Mesnil En Arrousaise. 18th: Relieved marched to Combles.
    Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046gc

Profile page 249 Dates 19th-31st March 1917 – to the end of month at Combles, road making at Fregricourt Bullet Crossroads/Sailly-Sallisel.
    Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046jb

Cynthia here is a Report on Irish Guards including 1st Btn Irish Guards which I found before I started tagging this diary.If you go through the report you will find under the heading 1917 - Somme to Gouecourt, you will find their entries for March 1917. (Also includes 3 other Btns of Guards Brigade).

This was written by the Poet Rudyard Kipling, Author also of the Jungle Book.

His son John Kipling was 16 when the First World War broke out in August 1914. Rudyard sought to get his son a commission, but John was rejected by the Royal Navy due to severe short-sightedness. He was also initially rejected by the Army for similar reasons.
    Rudyard Kipling was friends with Frederick Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts, a former Commander-in-Chief of the British Army, and Colonel of the Irish Guards, and through this influence, John Kipling was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant into the 2nd Battalion, Irish Guards on 15 August 1914. After completing his training, John Kipling was sent to France in August along with the rest of the battalion, which was part of the 2nd Guards Brigade of the Guards Division. Kipling was reported injured and missing in action in September 1915 during the Battle of Loos. There remains no definite evidence relating to the cause of his death but credible reporting indicates he was last seen attacking a German position, possibly with a head injury. With fighting continuing, his body was not identified. His parents searched vainly for him in field hospitals and interviewed comrades to try to identify what had happened.The grave of Kipling was reportedly identified in 1992, and he is officially listed as buried in St Mary's ADS Cemetery in Haisnes.

Sorry for long comment but thought report would be of interest to you and also the story of John Kipling.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

I've also noticed that the Profile page loads slowly, and often not completely. I'm wondering if the reason might be that we've all done so many diaries, the page contains more information than it can load in a reasonable amount of time. Could that page be changed so it shows only the diaries that we've completed in the last year, instead of every diary we've ever done? This would greatly reduce the amount of info on the page, allowing it to load faster. I've never needed to look at a diary again which I've finished, so I don't see any need for that page to show every diary I've done.

Posted

I would rather the profile pages stay as they are to still include all the diaries we have done. I often refer to it in case I have tagged a diary for a certain part of the year and have sometimes found the same diary will come up again later for another part of their year. This is because I take notes of the diaries I am tagging which include the people mentioned. If I come across the same continuing diary for a different part of their years, I have my notes which I can refer back to, especially for people who may appear later in their diary and sometimes with faint entries of names, I can refer back to my notes.

Although I know people would not generally do this, I find it very helpful to take notes. Sometimes when I have tagged a diary and another person is tagging it and they post a query re the diary, I can refer to my notes for them, helpful if pages/orders etc are mixed up and not in order or duplicated.

By the way, although the profile page for the diaries is very slow, I find sometimes the diaries will all be there but it is the last 10 pages of the profile pages that are really very slow in appearing.

Posted

I have sent a message to Rob about the profile page. We'll see what he says.

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

if it's any help - I only look at the profile page if I want to check something from a page that I have recently tagged. e.g. dates don't seem sequential

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to josiepegg's comment.

I'm managing to get along without looking at it much at all. It has become such a tedious process to go back and forth several times that I only look at it if I really can't move on without it.

Posted

The profile page seems to be loading a lot quicker today, 15th November 2018.

Posted