War Diaries Talk

Missing Operation Orders in the Diary of the 14 Btn York & Lancaster Regiment-1 March-28 Feb 1918.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia, I don’t know if the following information would be useful for you regarding the following missing orders in this diary – quite a few.

I started the diary at page 104 – first order I tagged was No. 8 – 3rd August 1916.

The orders ran in sequence from No. 8 to 32. (33 missing) then ran to 34. (35 missing) then ran to 74 (75 missing) then to 76, 77 (78 to 83 missing) ran from 84 to 90.

(91 and 92 were missing) – Author stated on page 397: “Operation Orders not received – numbers passed over in error”.

The orders then ran from 93-97 (98 missing). Then from 99 to 130.

The next and last order not numbered was on the last page of the diary number 528 which was a routine order stating “The Battalion was absorbed into the 4th Entrenching Battalion as and from the 17 Feb 1918”.

I know we report missing pages but I thought I would report this. I made no comments in the comment boxes because a) I could have come across pages that others had tagged they may not have appeared for me to tag
    and b) I thought that the missing orders may have appeared later in the diary (actually - some orders were out of order – which I commented on).

All the pages ran in sequence for this diary.

PS A smiley face has appeared in this message and I have tried to get rid of it without success.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Marie, if you type B ) without at least two spaces between the B and the bracket it will get converted to the smiley.

Posted

Thanks for that useful tip David. I have now just changed the large b to a small b and it got rid of the smiley face.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

You've gone to a lot of work to keep track of all these details, and we appreciate your efforts. However, keeping track of order numbers is something I never do. There are many, many orders that never make it into our digitized diaries. If you look at the Type tag, you'll notice there are eight or so types, yet the vast majority of orders we see fall only into the Movement (mainly reliefs) or Attack categories. (I did tag one diary that actually included the routine orders read out to the troops daily, but that was the only one. They were interesting, too, including details about courts-martial and other bits of the soldiers' daily life.)

The other orders were either something that was not considered necessary to include or they were lost along the way. We are not the first people to have worked through these documents. They were used to write a history of the war as well as regimental histories. This is the most likely reason that bits and pieces got out of order.

Orders, reports, etc. are really a secondary part of the project. That's why there are only a few tags for them. Many diaries don't include any orders, and others only under certain COs or Adjutants. So if the orders aren't in strict order, there's no need to be concerned about it.

Posted

Thanks for your reply Cynthia regarding Orders. I take notes of the pages I tag for my own reference places, people etc. I know then if certain orders are out of order or duplicated. Although it is not really necessary. Actually I have tagged a routine order for another diary today, as you say there are not many of them.

I have noted your comments - as I said I did not know whether you needed the information or not 😃

Posted