War Diaries Talk

Just a mention regarding the abbreviation SCF

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

If anyone comes across a name with the initials SCF after their name and initials, they are a Chaplain. SCF stands for Senior Chaplin Forces.

Page link https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD000439f

Diary of the 14th Battalion York & Lancaster Regiment.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you for posting this, Marie.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

More commonly just CF - Chaplain to the Forces, is I think the official version. Normal CFs wore rank insignia identical to standard officer insignia, but were ranked as Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class (equivalent to a captain), 3rd Class (major) etc. They were not supposed to be referred to by standard ranks, but it did happen (I think Canadian policy was different). Typically chaplains attached to infantry brigades, CCS, stationary hospitals etc would be 4th Class, with 3rd class and higher used for those holding more senior appointments.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks, David. I've seen the CF after their names but I always thought it was Church of Something, as C.E. is Church of England. I could never work out what the F might be though!

Posted

Some information regarding Army Chaplains during ww1.

Between 1914 and the end of hostilities in 1918, almost 4,400 Army Chaplains were recruited into uniform. Most of them saw service in the trenches. 179 lost their lives; many were decorated for bravery with three being awarded the Victoria Cross. In recognition of their devoted work since 1914 King George V conferred the prefix ’Royal’ on the Army Chaplains’ Department.

PS One of the priests from my Parish was a Chaplain in WW1. Unfortunately, I could not find a reference to him in WW1 when I did a search for him on google, which is not surprising, seeing the numbers who served.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Marie, which denomination (and which army)? The Museum of Army Chaplaincy has some interview cards online for Anglican chaplains in the British Army which give some basic details, and you can use Crockford (or equivalent directories for other denominations) to find out a bit more.

Posted

Thanks for that useful information David. (I don't know which army).
    He was actually a Roman Catholic Priest. He did return from WW1.

If I want to research him further, there maybe some information in the parish records for him - (If I was to be allowed access to them - which could also take a long time).

Posted