War Diaries Talk

Moderators - Maybe misfiled Query on the diary of Divisional Troops 170 Brigade RFA.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I hope to tag the diary of the 170 Brigade RFA – Diary heading is *March 1916-April 1916 – 50 pages, when I have shortly finished the one I am working on. The next page coming up to be tagged for this particular diary is page 36.
    Ref on bottom of page is WO/95/2350/1 P.36 of 50.WO/95/2350/1age 36 of 50

Page 36 is a page of an order but it has the signed date as 23rd December 1916. Though heading runs from March 1916-April 1916.

1). Has the above diary got a misfiled diary heading? Or 2) is page 36 out of order from another part of their diaries?

By the way including the above mentioned one - there are 3 other diaries for the Divisional Troops – 170 Brigade RFA, on the Diary Selection Page as follows: May 1916-Sept 1916/Jan 1917-March 1917/April 1917-May 1917. I suppose these headings are correct?

Hope you can understand this – Would you be able to check the Diary for the 170 Brigade RFA for *page 36, on which I am questioning the diary heading and the page itself? Thank-you.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

It took me a while to figure this out, but it does appear that the diary you are interested in tagging, from the end of February through April, 1916, also includes a large number of pages of orders and/or reports from December, 1916. From page 36 on, that is all you will see. This particular diary isn't very long, though. There doesn't appear to be a December, 1916, diary anywhere in any of the four sections we have up for tagging right now.

The second section, the one that begins with May, 1916, seems to have a number of appendices for the month of June that may be really interesting to artillery buffs. Among them are lists of the actual targets with grid coordinates.

We'll make a note of the December items in the March-April, 1916, diary, so you don't need to worry about putting in hashtags that say misfiled or out of order. They have all been tagged previously as well.

Does this answer your questions?

Posted

Thanks Cynthia for your quick reply. I will go ahead and tag the diary in question from page 36 as mentioned. I thought it was unusual for this diary heading for March 1916-April 1916 to include an entry for an order date of 23rd December 1916.

Do you want me to put a note in the comment box of page 36 saying - Reported to Moderator re date of June 1916 or not?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

No need to put that in the comment box. I've made a note of it already and added it to our list of problem diaries.

Just doing your usual excellent tagging work will be enough!

Posted

Thanks for your kind words Cynthia. I did not put the comment suggested in the comment box. 😃

Posted