War Diaries Talk

Moderators - Query to Tag as a *report or diary page when the Appendix report appears later? Diary of 18th Btn Durham Light Infantry

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

On Cover page 7 (Profile Page 6) There is an entry saying “Appendix attached *report on Operations on 7th July 1916” Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00041i2 Page 8 another cover page.

(The next page number 9, is dated 1-27th July 1916. I hope to tag his page tomorrow Friday, so at the moment cannot give you the page link)

On page 9, against the date of 1st July 1916 it states – Beginning of Battle of Somme. Objective of 18th Durham LI, running South East of Serre” and in the remarks column “See Appendix”.

Query – when this Appendix page appears for the report of the Battle of Somme, I would be inclined to tag as a diary page to include all the relevant information. What do you think?

By the way, so far in this diary the Author lists lots of movements but does not give any information regarding trench activity when they are in the line, on certain dates.

PS when researching the 18th Btn Durham LI. I came across the following link (which is helpful for place names and men’s names). If you follow the following link for this http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/alliedarmy-view.php?pid=523 and read down to the entry for 4th July 1916 it says “Entries for Battle of Serre, taken from Appendix 1, 18 Btn DLI.

This link above may be very useful for any volunteers also tagging this particular diary.

Hope you can understand the above. 😃

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie, You've been working on this project for long enough that I trust your judgement regarding whether to tag an Appendix as a report or diary page! When you get to it, if it includes a lot of information that did not appear in the diary itself, go ahead and tag it as a diary if the format is suitable for that. If it primarily repeats the information that is in the diary, then it should probably be a Report.

As always, the most important consideration is to capture the names of the men.

Thank you for the link, too.

Posted